Keencut sight line strip

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jamesnkr

Keencut sight line strip

Post by Jamesnkr »

I have broken a couple of sheets of glass recently, in the same place - about 6" up from the bottom. So I scored a long piece of scrap glass with several parallel lines; and they all had a kink at the same spot. It turned out that there was a nick there in the sight line strip where I'd caught it a few days ago. New sight-line strip: parallel lines. I'm quite surprised. So I just spoke to the wonderful people at Keencut, who are tremendously helpful, and Andy there said he wasn't surprised. Indeed, he said most framers have no use for the sight line strip so I shouldn't bother with one. Is that what you all do?

On another matter, changing the glass wheel the manual says 'just pull it out' and push in the new one. I'm reluctant to grab it with a pair of pliers as I might be left with no glass cutter at all. But it certainly isn't moving by hand (that said, one would hope it wasn't that loose!) Andy said to push it out with an unfolded paperclip. What do other people do? This is a case where a whole host of people with different experiences may be more help than the manufacturer! I'd guess it hasn't been changed for five years at least.