New supplier

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: New supplier

Post by kuduframes »

Yes, I'm convinced it is down to the driver and depot. The tuffnell's vans in my area all seem to have high level racks for long packages and this seems to help the mouldings survive better. DX were a nightmare even with a good driver.
I would have thought there is enough of us on this forum to drum up a bit of notice at supplier level for them to exert pressure on Tuffnells to take action on their poor performance depots, I cannot believe that they are unaware of the poor performers in this age of statistical performance management....
The other striking point is the difference in levels of packaging between Lion and Arqadia, Arqadia's is minimal corrugated cardboard and parcel tape rather than banding (this at my request) whereas Lion are full monty with bubble wrap, cardboard and banding and more banding. Both survive reasonably well except for the odd crush damage.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

It pays to make friends with the staff at Tuffnells, I phone the depot to find out if my consignment is out for delivery that day and I know most of the switchboard girls from our local depot. One of them even sent me a framing job, but knowing the staff is quite helpful they do look out for my consignments and I get almost no damage at all.

I'm also very pleased to see our regular van driver when he comes, he's just a great guy and is well known around the area, everyone thinks our delivery driver is a really nice guy. From my perspective, I find that Tuffnells are great.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Framie
Organisation: Anything Framed
Interests: Custom Framing, Hand Finishes and Multi Aperture Mounts.

Post by Framie »

I also get a lot of damage with Tuffnells, no idea what they must do with the packages. I've spoken with suppliers and they won't offer any other option for delivery. I have given up reporting and claiming too, it's too time-consuming for just a few pounds.

I try to order box sizes on moulding now which arrive with less damage, but still mountboard arrive with at least 3 corners damaged.

I use chop with no damage from transit but do get far bit of cutting errors. So I've resulted to ordering oversize chop and cutting down if only 1 or 2 frames are needed. :head: :head: :head:
Anything Framed
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

All this discussion on delivery issues has prompted a bit of reflection to our first experiences of framing in Zambia in the early 2000's. All of our stock was delivered by road freight from Johannesburg, a trip of 2,000 km across 2 borders and through temperatures of over 40 deg. C in the Limpopo and Zambezi valleys during summer.

Everything, polymer mouldings, mount boards etc., in similar packaging to what we have here were eventually consolidated and simply dumped on the back of a long haul, open truck / articulated trailer combination and covered with tarpaulins which were tightly lashed down.
Can you imagine the shape of some of those polymer mouldings after having been subjected to those conditions for a trip lasting up to 2 or 3 weeks !!!

I really cannot imagine the most malicious courier in the UK coming close to causing anything near to the damage we incurred.

Maybe that's why I thing Tuffnells are brilliant
Keith Hewitt
Organisation: www.keithhewitt.co.uk
Interests: Badminton, golf, gym, and exploring new places.

Post by Keith Hewitt »

framing in Zambia in the early 2000's. All of our stock was delivered by road freight from Johannesburg, a trip of 2,000 km across 2 borders and through temperatures of over 40 deg. C in the Limpopo and Zambezi valleys during summer.

I totally concur, I've visited framers in countries where there is no local distributor...... everything has to be imported. A mega hassle, which UK framers have no idea of the frustration, delays and damage with most orders. And then usually they have to pay in advance, which gives them little recourse when things go wrong. Plus maybe a 30 - 50% import duty to cough up. I remember a big shipment from plastic from London,l in the 1990's for a hotel project in Asia. After a 2 months wait the wrong colour had been sent. Supplier said " No problem just send it back" The poor framer had paid 40% import duty,to which the supplier said " Sorry, that's you problem. Cant help you there" Expecting a small framer to know how to ship pallets from Asia to London..... :head: Outcome, hotel was so annoyed they cancelled and flew in ready mades from USA.

Whilst I sympathise 100% with UK framers getting annoyed with Tuffnells and other carriers, stop for a moment and consider your brothers in far away lands with No distributor, No trainers, No Framers Forum, Nobody to sharpen the Morso blades properly, :(

You UK guys are spoilt rotten :clap:
Keith Hewitt
I have visited distributors and framers in 90 countries - no two are the same.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XtrrWooYdg
Jamesnkr

Post by Jamesnkr »

Keith Hewitt wrote:Consider your brothers in far away lands with No distributor, No trainers, No Framers Forum, Nobody to sharpen the Morso blades properly, :(
It has always been the way for as long as there has been an Empire...