Blue foam edge protectors anyone ?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bagpuss
Organisation: Adam The Picture Framer
Interests: TBA

Blue foam edge protectors anyone ?

Post by Bagpuss »

Hi, I am crying while I type this ...
I have just finished a football shirt frame, wrapped it with film and corners, just taking it to the Stock room ( the front room ) and caught it on the edge of a chair :head: I now have to spend best part of an hour opening it up and making a new frame.

I really need to buy lengths of that blue foam to protect the frame edges on my football shirts, any recommendations please ? Which Supplier is best on price ?

Thanks in advance,
Adam / Bagpuss
My real name is Adam Laver aka "Adam The Picture Framer", just in case you were unsure ; )
prospero

Re: Blue foam edge protectors anyone ?

Post by prospero »

Why not just put some padding around the chair? :lol:

:wink: * Lion do them I think....

Some folks have been known to get pipe insulation and slice it up. Don't know how it works out costwise..... :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I try and use suppliers like Lions etc but due to the order minimums I often resort to ebay for it.
N.B. There are various sizes, depth/width, work checking, I stock 2 sizes.
On a tangent, I've also been using rolls of foam flooring underlay instead of bubblewrap, when needed. I'm very happy with the quality of protection it offers versus bubblewrap and its comparable on cost (and sadly just as non recyclable, although there is now a planet friendly equivalent but only available in industrial sizes atm..)
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

We use these Adam, http://www.acpackaging.co.uk/acatalog/U ... ofile.html but we are close enough to collect from them. Also I think Kite packaging do them as well.
Roger
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I use Kite packaging, I find them very good. I get all my packaging bits and pieces frm them.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I'm curious to hear more about the foam flooring underlay. I have noticed that there are many different types and many different prices. I'm about to move into a new shop next week. The new shop has an old outbuilding that I'm thinking about lining and waterproofing as an extension to my business, but I need to do this on a cheap budget, hence my interest in the foam underlay. Plus it might good to use for packing as well, if the price is right. Thanks.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Mark
For packing frames the cheapest white underlay is good, 30m +rolls are the best value. If you're looking for a damp proof underlay for laminate/wood flooring I would go for the gold backed underlay, a bit more expensive but if you tape the joins as you lay it, it's a moisture barrier, insulator and is excellent on slightly uneven sub floors.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

If there is any moisture in the floor I would always put down a DPM first, before underlay and flooring
Justin George GCF(APF)
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Why oh Why do people use film to wrap a frame, it offers no protection at all , just holds the corners on, we use bubble wrap, so much easier to take off to show the customer the finished frame, they can see that the frame is in perfect condition, no cardboard corners hiding bad miters or any damage/dents. If you present the finished frame to the customer with corners on and cling wrapped, and they take it as it is, they could knock it getting it in the car, then they can come back later and say it was damaged when they picked it up!
Sorry I have been doing this for nearly 30 years, and it dosed not surprise me what customers do, had one once buy a clip frame from us, then come back within in 5 mins, and ask to change it, I asked what was the problem, the reply was, " I knocked it against a big concrete flower display in the shopping center, and it's smashed, so can I exchange it for a good one" :swear: :surprised:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/