Problems with Float Mounting using Hedgehog Method

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Problems with Float Mounting using Hedgehog Method

Post by joh5nny »

I've float mounted a couple of fairly heavy pieces of artwork recently using the hedgehog method. A few weeks later, the customers have contacted me to say that the artwork has slipped. On getting them back, the pieces have slipped completely and all of the pieces of tape I used are visible. I used Arqadia Art Tape and made sure to burnish it well, but it's obviously failed.

I need to re-attach the artwork, but don't want to have the issue again for obvious reasons. I'm now thinking starch paste and mulberry paper, but don't know if this is the best solution. Can anybody advise on what types of tape or methods they've used for this type of work? I think the key problem is that the artwork is on pretty heavy paper.

Thanks.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: Problems with Float Mounting using Hedgehog Method

Post by David McCormack »

A quick reply as we're off out to enjoy the rain :D :D

I don't know what art tape is but it must be pressure sensitive tape as you said you burnished it well. You will get a better hinge if you use paste that's for sure especially with heavy art. If you don't want the bother of cooking the paste, but it really is easy, then you can go for Methyl Cellulose which just requires mixing with water. But wheat starch paste will serve you well.

Go for wet paste rather than dry sticky! 8)

PS
This would be good for the paper hinges https://www.lionpic.co.uk/p/38684/Linec ... 5mm-x-305m
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

Thanks David, that's really helpful. I'll get some of that tape from Lion and happy to cook the paste. Didn't realise though that the methyl cellulose didn't need cooking, so I'll probably get some of that in as well. Thanks again.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I think it is not coincidence that a self adhesive tape supporting a fairly heavy artwork has yielded during the recent very hot weather. I heat old self adhesive tapes as an easy way to remove them, when customers want something else framed in the old frame. Water based adhesives are a lot more permanent than self adhesives.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

It's interesting you mention self adhesive tapes softening during this hot weather. I've noticed some of the backing sealing tape wrinkling a bit recently and have wondered whether I should be using the water based type instead.

I mostly use Sekisui self adhesive which I am pretty happy with and have been trying out Supertape, both from Lion.
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

You can also 'double hedgehog' it. Sure there must be a more technical term...

Cut another aperture smaller than the last one and do the same with that one.
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter

Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

kartoffelngeist wrote
"You can also 'double hedgehog' it. Sure there must be a more technical term...

Cut another aperture smaller than the last one and do the same with that one."

That's right, you can do as many as you like, starting from the smallest working out to the largest, just cut your mount oversize to start with, then you don't have to worry about getting the artwork in the right position, just trim down when you have finished
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/