+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Nielsen Aluminium frame advice

Post by +Rafe+ »

Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 13.16.14.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-13 at 13.16.14.png (192.38 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
Hi all,

I am looking for some advice in how to correctly fix together an aluminium frame.

It seems straight forward with the supplied hardware ('L' fixing plates and springs) but so far I've spent about an hour tweaking each corner trying to get neat corners without gaps.

The profiler is Nielsen profile 56. As per the picture.

I used R&H chop service so I am assuming it isn't a 'left hand fence' jobby whatsis which it looks a bit like.

I'm sure its technique, any suggestions. Conscious I might damage the moulding in a cack handed manner.

Those that use metal frames, do you seal the backboard and moulding, if so do you use the standard brown tape?

Thanks for your time.
Rafe
prospero

Re: Nielsen Aluminium frame advice

Post by prospero »

First of all make sure the L plates without the holes are the right way round. Not sure which way it is, but the stamped letters
need to be a certain way round. * you can sometimes bend them a tad to get a tighter corner, but try switching the orientation first. :wink:

*** I think it's writing toward the front of the moulding, but don't quote me. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
prospero

Post by prospero »

As for sealing, you can sandwich the glass/art/backing board with suitable tape (P-90?).
Don't try sealing the back like a wood frame. It's not necessary and you'll end up with a dog's dinner. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Post by David McCormack »

I made the mistake of sealing a load of ally frames for one of my own photo exhibitions about 10 years ago. A couple of years ago I came across a few of these frames and decided to reuse them for myself and trying to remove the sticky brown tape was a nightmare :( I've framed a couple of ally frames since and do as Prospero says and just seal the art/glass package with P90.

Sorry, but can't really offer any advice about getting good mitres on your frames. That profile does look a bit tricky :shock:
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Prospero and David some good tips. Glad it wasn't a silly question regarding the brown tape.

Cheers guys.
louisesimon
Organisation: Peckham Pictures (closed)
Interests: Framing, Art, Photography

Post by louisesimon »

I've never used that profile, but could you assemble and before tightening the screws use masking tape wrapped round the outside on each corner to hold the mitres closed then tighten the screws?
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi Louisesimon, thats what I was planning on doing :D . I had been gripping it with my hands and tightening each corner small amounts and repeating. I think as David says it will be difficult also due to the height of the profile. Just in the process of finishing off the package... we will see.

thanks your tips