inner cardboard packaging protection or similar for prints?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

inner cardboard packaging protection or similar for prints?

Post by daveym »

Hi,

thank you to some of you who have kindly replied to some recents posts of mine. I'm looking for alternative packing solutions when sending out an A4 print. The same applies to sending out a single mount board in the post. Some of my items don't fit into a standard cardbacked mailer and I still find using this is pretty flimsy anyway.

I had originally been using vinyl record 12" mailer stiffeners and cut them to size then packed these withprint into a polythene mailing bag. However, I still find that this cardbaord still bends in the post as it's single wall and quite flimsy. I'm looking for alternative pieces of card or similar at roughly the same price I pay that might offer better protection. I could go slightly above current prices paid if it offers better protection from bending.

The current price paid per stifferener is approx 0.20p so for 2 cardboard pieces either side works it works out at 0.40p on top of postage. I could obviously reduce this price if I purchased larger bulk quantities of stiffeners but at themoment I purchase 100 at a time. I'm looking at spending roughly the same price of slightly less for an alternative that can stillbe sent out as large letter post.

thanks for any help in advance.
David McCormack
Organisation: Framing
Interests: Cycling, walking, darkroom photography and laughing a lot!

Re: inner cardboard packaging protection or similar for prin

Post by David McCormack »

Fluted board is stiff but remains light. If you bought some ArtBak, which is a frame backing board, you could get 16 A4s from a sheet of size 915 x 1220 mm. Lion, Wessex, Simons and everyone else sells the stuff under various names and thicknesses and would work out at around 15p to 20p +vat per A4. Fluted board is often used as a stiffener when selling prints.

How did you get on with your box frames in your last post?

:D
"You know, there's a right and wrong way to do everything!"
Oliver Hardy.
https://www.instagram.com/davidaustinmccormack/
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

we use Simons BACK/1

The secret is to cut this board bigger than the mount, so around 1-2cm bigger, on a A4 we would cut them 24.5x33cm this gives us the max size for a Large Letter size packet, so sandwich the mount between two of these and use handywrap to wrap them up ,if you do it tight, the two boards will bow out, forming a package that is hard to bend, this we pop into a grey mailing bag also the extra size creates a buffer zone around the mount, so if dropped, the corner of the mount will not be damaged
We send dozens of mounts out every week, very rare to get any reports of damage, our feedback 90% of the time mentions how well packed of mounts are, as I aid in another post, we are showing that we care about our product

if you are charging Postage & Packing, this is part of the Packing cost
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
daveym
Organisation: printer, designer
Interests: printing and all things design.

Post by daveym »

Thank you both for your help. I can't seem to find anything regarding simons back/1 online. Is this card protection or fluted board?

Going on prices I might just stick with the current cardboard used.

With regards to the box frames David, I'm just going with an Ikea shallow box frame as I can order these in without having to purchase bulk lots from a company that would need to make them up. I understand that there are far better on the market but going on what I'm selling these for, I find these are the best quality based on box frames for under £10.00.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

how many are getting damaged in the post

the BACK/1 is a fluted board, 122x91.5 cost around £1.6 +VAT, so cost of a piece 33x28cm around £0.22, so £0.44 per parcel, so that would be to expensive for you,
The way I look at it is, pay a bit more for your packaging, you only have to send it once, if you skimp on packaging, well it will cost you more in the long run, because you will have to send replacements for damaged items. also if you use good materials, it shows your customers that you care about your product and you want it to reach them in great condition
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/