Dent in paper

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Dent in paper

Post by Ed209 »

Put my dog in the van this morning forgot there was a cellophane wrapped print (on about 100g paper) on the van floor
Quickly called the dog back but she still managed to walk over it and slight claw mark in paper now haven’t removed cellophane yet but can see it’s gone in to paper also. Any tips to remove dents tried ironing once on something else not very successful, in fact made it worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: Dent in paper

Post by kuduframes »

Ouch, hope you gave your doggy a ticking off....

Is the print is still commercially available ? If so it may be worth considering biting the bullet and replacing it.
Assuming it is not a limited edition its value may not be too much ??
Then you could have a proper go at sorting out the dent without worrying about the outcome and possibly even sell it in your gallery.
prospero

Post by prospero »

The short answer is: You are never going to fix it. It is like trying to push toothpaste back in the tube. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Something similar happened to me a while back. I bought a new print and kept quiet. Fortunately it was an open edition print.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

A lot depends upon the nature of the paper on which the print is printed. A lot of modern prints tend to be on very smooth coated papers and a dent in such a paper is going to be extremely difficult to fully remove. On the other hand a print on a less smooth paper may well be flatten and dry mounted and that slight texture on the surface of the paper may just render any residual effects of the original dent close to invisible behind glass and under normal viewing conditions.

Getting another copy of the print may not be as straight forward as you might suppose. Not all prints can be tracked down on the internet and maybe even the customer may not be able to tell you who to contact to get another copy. I certainly would not suggest trying to remedy the situation without agreeing any course of action with the customer beforehand. However, it may be that the print is not so important that the customer might not be upset to have the print dry mounted and framed if the finished result is pleasing to the customer.

Treating the customer with respect and coming clean about the situation can lead to the discovery that the customer will be happy with the best that you can do, if it comes out well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer