Trimming down a print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Trimming down a print

Post by JFeig »

The original purpose of all that white around a print is a visual concept developed in the nineteenth century. The concept is to force your vision to the center of the print through the "negative space"(AKA the lack of design - blank white) around the object being displayed.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I've missed all this thread, because I've been away for a few days. I try to discourage cutting down anything that looks that great, so why the necessity to cut the print down, it's a stunning print and would look great with the extra white space around the image for impact.

If the customer ever wants to re-frame the print at some future date, no one can say that you have reduced the available options for a future framer to frame it to impress, by cutting the print down to a smaller size.

It may not be a limited edition, but what if the original print run never gets repeated and that particular print becomes a collectible classic and for whatever reason there will never be a further printed run and anything sort after and is very hard to obtain gains value as a those who want one try to obtain one.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
kartoffelngeist
Organisation: Rosie's Framers and Crafts
Interests: Framing, mental health, martial arts

Post by kartoffelngeist »

pramsay13 wrote:Sometimes if there's a lot of space around an image like this I have the discussion with the customer about not having a mount but a spacer instead to lift the glass from the artwork.
Usually, if there is no mount you can have a much chunkier / fancier frame.
For me the skinny frame in the original doesn't do the fantastic image any favours.
It's a bit...doctor's waiting room, isn't it...

I do like the mount proportions though, and the space around the image.

Customers always seem to want a narrow mount and a narrow frame, feel like I spend all my time convincing them to look at other options...
Thanks,

andrew
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them in to the impossible."
Etsy
Facebook
Twitter