Wessex OTC

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Wessex OTC

Post by cleaver »

Hi All,

First post and all that (I will be doing an intro one to say hello properly).

Just have a quick question about Wessex: is it possible to buy mouldings there and then, or does everything have to be pre-ordered....even if you collect?

To cut a short story long, I need to pop in there (Leatherhead branch) and grab a bit of moulding to frame an oil my Mrs is putting into a little staff exhibition at her college. So I want to buy a bit there and then when I pop along. just wondered if that's a 'done thing', buying a single stick or 2?

Ta. :D
huntvambo
Organisation: Framed
Interests: Music, cycling, drinking, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band

Re: Wessex OTC

Post by huntvambo »

Certainly not a problem at their Leamington branch. As I live relatively close I usually call in once a week for moulding and mountboard, very rarely pre-order.
In the past I've even picked up glass on the day! But I wouldn't recommend that, best to have that delivered.
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

Yes, its possible at Leatherhead's trade counter as well, you may need to be an account holder?
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

My local branch of Wessex in Dereham, have a big sign on the door "Sorry, trade only" and in side is another notice regarding minimum orders. Weather they adhere to those policies, who knows. :?:

Welcome to the FF and I look forward to reading your intro' :D
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Post by kuduframes »

I've picked up small bits before so I think the minimum order possibly only applies for deliveries
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks all :clap:

I signed up a few years ago.....but thanks, I will take my customer number along.

I'll also bear in mind the min order possibility; might have to pick up some essentials I don't quite need yet!

I'm not kitted out yet (look forward to seeing me pop up on the adverts thread!), so will be doing the cutting on a Nobex mitre saw with shinny new blade....should be fun! :head:

Have a good say, everyone.
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D I started out with a Nobex saw (still got it). All I can say is, small mouldings - OK(ish). When you get to bigger stuff you will find
it a bit arm-achy. And you will rapidly learn how to fill gaps.

As for Wessex, firms used to be very picky about 'trade' credentials but these days not so much. Good idea to get some cards printed
and also letterheads. Even if you print them yourself, which I do. :) You can flash them about and show you are a force to be reckoned with.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Thanks, Mr P. :D

I'm only re-commissioning the Nobex, as we're too late to do chop/rim at Wessex. The wife's only just decided to put a pic in the exhibition.

Also be interesting to see if I can get a semi-reasonable job with the Nobex.

TBH, the standard of framing at the little exhibition is never fierce...a lot of the tutors do their own framing!

PS. going to do the pinning with one of those pen-style things (where you whack it with a mallet). Yes folks, this is what you're dealing with here!! :Slap:
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D I do a lot of pinning with one of those but mine has a weight on the end so you don't need a mallet. Wish I could get another.
I bought it on a whim at a sale and it turned out to be one of my most useful tools. It is a good idea to drill a pilot hole.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

I'll let you know how I get on. Got mine from that Aussie chap who makes them (video on Youtube, I think), Anyway, it's got a little magnet on the business end of it, to save the wedge dropping off.

Just ordered a band clamp, and think I'll glue up 1st, then move on to the business of whacking my fingers with the mallet. :head: