Hi All can anyone ID this moulding please it is approx 50mm wide Thanks
Attachments
e1f46886-6b11-4ce0-9e3b-94927141d125.JPG
e1f46886-6b11-4ce0-9e3b-94927141d125.JPG (76.41 KiB) Viewed 2163 times
prospero

Re: Moulding ID Please

Post by prospero »

How old is the frame?

I've seen this profile, but never one with the 'tramlines' on the outer part. I'm guessing this dates from the '80s in
which case the chances of a supplier carrying it are very slim. :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Thanks Prospero i thought that would be the case but worth asking i am sorting alternatives.
Regards
Dave
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

You can create something which looks reasonably close in appearance, although you won't necessarily get exactly the same proportions on each of the features which make up the profile by stacking other mouldings and parts of other mouldings together to create the best match possible, but you will need a table saw to cut the part mouldings to size.

The tram lines on the outer section of the profile do not exist on the only moulding that I know which is the riight profile for the outer section and these tram lines will need to be created with a jig that this moulding will slid through. The jig will need to be constructed from wood with the points of some wood screws protruding into the moulding in the correct positions at the right depths to look right.

A lot of this will depend upon whether you are diposed to doing this sort of thing, but the moulding which I would say that comes closest to the outer portion of this profile is Simons M0092A. I'm not in my shop right now and cannot check the Simons price list to be sure if this is still a current Simons moulding, it was when I last bought some, but it's not a very "in" moulding shape these days so it could have been discontinued since I last bought some.

The best match for the detail on the inside edge will probably be easiest to obtain by cutting the inner portion off of Rose and Hollis moulding A132 and the centre section can be cut down from whatever you have in stock that is suitable.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Thanks Mark the customer doesn't have the budget for the stacked moulding approach and is happy with a moulding i have suggested to them,
but thanks for your help on this :yes: