Window display

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dandydon07
Organisation: AF1
Interests: golf and football

Window display

Post by dandydon07 »

Hi all,
Wondering what you guys do with your window displays. I have two big bay windows which is great exposure....but, unless I change the display every few weeks the pictures get damaged.
Although it’s great exposure I hardly sell anything out of the windows.
I am usually too busy with framing that it’s hard to keep up with changing pictures all the time.

I wouldn’t mind continuing to change the window on a regular basis but since I don’t sell enough I am contemplating doing away with all framed pictures (at present I have £1200 worth of frames in the windows) and replacing them with something else. An idea I had was to take pictures of other frames I’ve done in the past like football shirts, golf flags, football boots etc and make a vinyl wrap of some sort and have that in the window instead. Or maybe a ‘process of framing story’ display if that even makes sense :?

Does anyone have any ideas or even better pictures of something they have that could give me some inspiration.

Thanks,
Ian
prospero

Re: Window display

Post by prospero »

I have two nice window bays. They face west unfortunately and in summer the sun is fierce in the evening.
I have roller blinds which I have to remember to pull down about 4pm. Not so bad in winter.

Even then I avoid putting glazed pictures in the window. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Hi Don,

Though you might not sell specific items from the windows, I bet people come in because it's a great advert for what you are capable of.

Maybe you could put more moulding chevrons/mountboard samples etc in the window....to whet people's appetite and get their imagination going, regarding what's possible/available. And such items could stay there without being refreshed, like maybe you would with pictures etc.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I really like the idea of showing the process story. I'm always being told by social media experts to show some of the processes not just the completed work. When shown, some customers are fascinated by the tools and skills we have.
If I had two Bay windows, I would use one for a display, a few antique tools etc..
My local shoe shop has a side window display, with antique cobblers tools and materials. They no longer make shoes, but it tells me they know their trade and are proud of the history of the craft.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Back when we had our framing shop/gallery our two windows were an enormous asset to the business. I was very fortunate in having a wife who had a talent for widow dressing and loved doing it.

When people walk past your window you have an opportunity to inspire new ideas and stimulate buying desires.

Reading your op it appears you display skillfully framed items :D does this include shadow boxes?

Overloading a window and carp signage is obviously to be avoided.

We found a nice little earner for the second window was to occasionally, rent to local artists for a month. As long as you do the framing it can work well.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Post by Rainbow »

What about displays showing the different glass options and the beneficial effect of UV and anti-reflective glass?
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Or have the entire shop window made from anti-UV glass :)
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

I also have 2 large windows and have the same problem with light. I'm looking at getting some UV film to cover the windows with. It claims to block 99% UV which hopefully will slow the fading process so that I don't have to change the pictures around so often.
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Jules, if customers had all their windows covered in that film, would they ever need anti-UV glass on their picture frames? :lol:
Jules007
Organisation: Fisherton Framing
Interests: Photography, Art, Engineering, Travel

Post by Jules007 »

You have a very good point. If you are having new windows fitted in your house, can you get glass with a UV coating? It would stop your curtains and furniture from fading as well as all your pictures.