Framing big prints

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
timeless
Organisation: Timeless Galleries
Interests: History, writing, metal detecting

Framing big prints

Post by timeless »

Hello

Yet another dumb newbie question from me :-)

I only really know how to frame 3D objects but have recently started framing prints (just for myself to hang around the house). I've been using T-hinges after learning about them on youtube, which seem to work fine for small prints, but 60cm x 90cm prints always seem to 'buckle' where the hinges are, no matter how many I use. Is there some other form of attachment you'd typically use for bigger prints, bearing in mind it's just for me, so I probably wouldn't buy any expensive equipment!

Thanks for any help.

Jon
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Framing big prints

Post by Justintime »

There are lots of hinging techniques, T V S Y. I use Y hinges often. Passed through slits cut ịn the mountboard. I learnt most hinging techniques from Conservation Framing by Annabelle Rushton. If you haven't already, get yourself a burnishing tool.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D People often get the idea that if a print buckles it needs more hinges to 'hold it down'. Quite the reverse is true.
The more you try to restrain it the wavier it will go. :|

Two hinges at the top (about a quarter of the way in from the ends) is all you need with a standard window mount. One should be
tight and one with a little 'give' in it - by placing the top bar of the T a little way back. There are exceptions, as with everything, but
that's the basic method. Float mounting is basically the same, but you need auxiliary hinges to replace the window. Side/Bottom hinges
should have a bit of give. As these hinges are wrap-round you can apply them while not making them too tight.

If the paper is flat when you mount it and has been kept in a stable environment, it should stay put - as long as the framed item isn't
subjected to extremes of humidity and heat. No amount of force will compel paper art to keep flat. If it decides to swell and expand
the forces it exerts are enormous. The best you can do is give it room to wriggle about while keeping it in position.

Having said all that, some papers are very frisky and will go cockly whatever you do. Not really your problem. :lol:

Remember, framers are not magicians.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If I may, I'd like to mention some less obvious other factors to consider.

If there is to be a window mount, although it is not normal practice to hang the print from the window mount, it is good to recognise that the margins of the window mount need to be of adequate width to prevent the larger span from one corner to another corner of the window from sagging over time due to the weight of the unsupported mountboard across the extended distance of a larger mount.

For this reason skinny mount borders on larger artworks are not always a good move, this also applies to the side and bottom borders, because if the framed artwork is stored standing on it's side or top, then the same problem may occur on any of the other borders. It is therefore not uncommon with lower value purely decorative artworks of limited value to find that the mount borders have been stuck down onto a backing board to provide extra support.

This happens quite a bit with large artworks are framed and the overriding consideration is lowest cost, so although we do come across large artworks framed with skinny mounts a frames, it is well to consider that the skinny mount may have additional support and if any of us are asked to do some thing similar we would be wise to think about this. I've had pictures from hotels brought in to replace broken glass, where a huge print only has very narrow mount borders, but the borders have not sagged because they have been stuck down onto a large piece of grey board.

Another factor to consider is that the extra weight of a large artwork, together with seasonal expansion / contraction effects may cause localised cockling in close proximity to the placement of the hinges. It is therefore advantageous to keep these hinges well clear of the bevel edge of the window mount to prevent any cockling from opening an unwanted gap between the rear surface of the mount and the front surface of the artwork. It is not for nothing that large prints tend to come with large border areas around the image area.

The workshop where I was trained undertook a certain amount of commercial work in addition to the usual bespoke work and this sort of knowledge was well understood.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
timeless
Organisation: Timeless Galleries
Interests: History, writing, metal detecting

Post by timeless »

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll take it onboard and will have another crack at it tomorrow (luckily there isn't a customer waiting).

Also, it's hanging about five inches above a radiator - I guess that won't help!

Many thanks again.

Jon