Got myself in a pickle

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Got myself in a pickle

Post by +Rafe+ »

Afternoon all,

I have got myself second guessing myself at the moment :Slap: . I have a piece of work in at the moment that I am going to be T-hinging, it is a large paper artwork work that is 780mm wide by 880 long. It's lucky dead flat and not particularly heavy weighted paper.

It will be window mount (as per customers request) and I have a managed to have 50mm boarder that covers approx 20mm of the artwork.

My recent jobs have been a lot of float mounts and coming back to t-hinges I wanted to review my own notes and have a quick look at what the hive mind has been saying...

I am planning on using 25gsm Japanese tissue paper that is 20mm wide and wheat start for the hinges. I had planned on two hinges about 1/4 of the way into the artwork (so about 195mm in) and as I have done before add the 'T' tight to one and loser on the other.

I have been reading about cockling, then question the number of hinges I was going to use...reading that sometime adding others to the sides of the art work that are larger

Can I ask please for a sense check on my method before I comment..?

Many thanks in advance

Rafe
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Re: Got myself in a pickle

Post by poliopete »

It's obvious that you intend to do the best possible job, and FWIW I think you have thought it through.

A couple of points if I may, and if you have already considered them then my apologies. However many hinges you intend, hinge on the undermount of a book mount, and the hinges should break/give first, and not the artwork, in the event of a catastrophe.

The best of success with the job.

Peter.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

What you suggest sounds perfect.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks both, one of those things were I ended up second guessing myself. All hinged and completing the frame today.