Top Presser Issue

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Bigfishsmallworld
Organisation: Hayfield Picture Framing Company
Interests: Play electric bass and acoustic guitar in rock band,caravaning, picture framing, hill walking, photography

Top Presser Issue

Post by Bigfishsmallworld »

I recently had a guy who brought me some acrylics on canvas boards together with several frames he wanted cut down to fit the boards.
One of the mouldings had a sharp apex maybe only 2mm across and when the top presser made contact with it, it wanted to force it over and consequently
although the mitre was perfect, it caused a small gap in the joint.
The top presser I was using was a soft rubber type in my Casesse CS79. Any ideas on how this can be prevented in future?
prospero

Re: Top Presser Issue

Post by prospero »

What you need is something to spread the load. I use a wooden triangle maybe 4" on the narrow sides and covered
with 4mm cork. This is wrapped in clingfilm so the cork doesn't get glue in the cork and form a hard surface.

In some cases, according to the moulding shape, you can make a chevron the same moulding by mitring it 'backwards', that
is cut with the rebate side against the Morso fence. This can be placed face-down on the joint to level all the pressure out.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Mark Thornton
Organisation: Underpinner Spares
Interests: Red wine - lots and lots of it.

Re: Top Presser Issue

Post by Mark Thornton »

Cut 2 small pieces of the same moulding on your Morso but with the rebate pointing the opposite way to normal and pin/glue the two cut pieces to form a chevron then just place the chevron upside down on top of the troublesome moulding, your top pad will then make contact with a flat surface.

Mark
https://www.underpinner-spares.co.uk Framing equipment spare parts - Easy online ordering