Attaching a fringe

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Framing Frenzie
Organisation: York
Interests: Keeping fit, socializing

Attaching a fringe

Post by Framing Frenzie »

Hi, I'm busy on the forum today reaching out for help with all those jobs that are hanging around. They don't go away do they? :head: Haha. Here's the latest. I have been asked to frame some military colours. They are huge flags with fringes on them. The customer is part of a team that are wanting to frame them using all conservation methods (my words) after we discussed it. I am confident with all of that but a bit baffled how to do the fringe bit. They wanted it to be spread outwards from the flag all the way round. We discussed various methods but the only one I could think of that would be conservation standard is sewing it. I asked a local seamstress but she declined it. I could find another but asked him if he would just give me a bit of time to run it by the forum in case there is a magic trick I am missing. Don't think he needs it until next year but as a committee they have started to discuss it and the funding for it. As they do. I look forward to hearing from you.
Attachments
IMG_1345.JPG
IMG_1345.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 2297 times
IMG_1340.JPG
IMG_1340.JPG (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2297 times
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG (215.15 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Frame-Abel, Bespoke Picture Framing, York, North Yorkshire
http://www.bespokepictureframers.com/
Tudor Rose
Organisation: The Framing Lot
Interests: Tudor history, swimming, walking and needlework.

Re: Attaching a fringe

Post by Tudor Rose »

It isn't clear if you are looking to frame them so that the Colours are completely flat and upright, but I'm presuming that's what they are after as they want the fringe held out all the way around.

You could potentially use an overlay fabric such as this https://restore-products.co.uk/collecti ... ine-fabric which will become almost invisible when laid over it and allow you to use stitches at points to anchor the fringe in place. Although it may not be strong enough over the distance involved to hold the fringe fully up or out on the top and sides of the Colours.

To be honest, if it were me, I'd just be sewing it as you first thought or looking for them to do a slight alternative display. If they were on display having been laid up they are usually draped or so that they hang down (like you often see in older churches or cathedrals), then fringe could then be left to hang naturally and it becomes far less problematic for you.
Jo Palmer GCF(APF) Adv
Textile, Mount Design & Function & Conservation

Forum Moderator & Framing Educator
www.pictureframingtraining.com
Guild Certified Examiner & Guild Accredited Trainer
Guild Master from May 2019 to May 2022
Framing Frenzie

Thanks for your prompt reply. They did want it flat with the fringe out all the way round. Apparently they have had others like that in the past done badly. Eek. So they decided they would get a proper job done this time. I think I performed well and passed the test as I have mentioned all the conservation process/materials and problems (like the fringe). He was impressed and said that's exactly what they want Although now it's my problem. Haha. He did mention them being hermetically sealed at first. Crikey! I did say that was beyond me.
Frangipaniframer
Organisation: Bell Fine Art
Interests: 1940-50s fashion, lifestyle and memorabilia. Sewing, crafting, and of course picture framing

Post by Frangipaniframer »

Sewing is what I would do/have done! I had a customer bring me an antique Indian shawl that measured 1000x1500mm so I can’t completely understand the massive task ahead of you! I stitched the shawl onto conservation board cut to the size of the actual body of fabric to stiffen it and make my job easier. I then stitched the now rigid shawl to another piece of conservation board that was slightly bigger to allow the tassels to be visible.. I think this helped me be able to place the tassels flat and uniform all the way round. The tassels were quite tight together so I managed to bunch them in 15mm bunches.

There is no way I charged the correct number of hours I put into this but I’d say it took a good 10 hours of stitching, so definitely try to make sure your time is covered for this piece! It’ll look splendid once it’s done :wink:
Fran Howson GCF APF
Framing Frenzie

That's great advice, thanks. I'm glad I was on the right idea then. Although it would have been nice to find a neat trick for doing it. :lol: That's why I thought I could farm out the sewing bit. They would be quicker but also can charge whatever they need to for their bit and it shows the break down of the cost/tasks. I will report back my findings and your advice to the customer. I think he liked it that I was asking the forum. :clap: Thanks again for your help.