Cassese underpinner model

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Frangipaniframer
Organisation: Bell Fine Art
Interests: 1940-50s fashion, lifestyle and memorabilia. Sewing, crafting, and of course picture framing

Cassese underpinner model

Post by Frangipaniframer »

Hi forum :D

I’m still trying to keep an eye out for a second hand underpinner. I have used quite a few in the past but my favourite one is pictured below.

It wasn’t my machine, and I was only at that particular framers for a short time and I can’t remember the model number. This is the only photo I could find online (and didn’t state a model number :( ) any ideas would be great!

Thank you! Fran :D
Attachments
8866BD4A-B34A-4233-8320-AA6A0B30165F.jpeg
8866BD4A-B34A-4233-8320-AA6A0B30165F.jpeg (34.91 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Fran Howson GCF APF
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: Cassese underpinner model

Post by JonathanB »

Hi Fran -
This is a Cassese 299M Ultra (with lock button) - the manual is still available on the Cassese website. They're no longer made - nearest equivalent would be the Cassese 200. I bought one second hand six months ago from TGS Repairs in Basildon, who do onsite servicing for all equipment. It's a brilliant workhorse - really solid and weighs a ton, unlike the more modern Cassese machines that seem to be much more flimsy. I'm extremely pleased with mine and would happily recommend it. Jamie at TGS swapped the adjustable fences for custom built solid fences which has been a great improvement. If you want one, I found that you have to hunt them down, as they don't seem to appear on the second hand market much - most people apparently run them into the ground, which apparently takes quite a lot of doing. Try Jamie at TGS Repairs (07817 848324). He sourced mine and will probably know where to find one.
Good luck
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Hi Fran -
Just realised that you're quite close to me - if you want to try my machine you're more than welcome to call in sometime and give it a try - there's always some waste moulding kicking around!
Best wishes
Jonathan
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
Frangipaniframer
Organisation: Bell Fine Art
Interests: 1940-50s fashion, lifestyle and memorabilia. Sewing, crafting, and of course picture framing

Post by Frangipaniframer »

Hi Jonathan!

Firstly, I’m so sorry for the late reply! Bank holiday madness at the framers I’m currently at!

Thank you so so much for letting me know about the model I’m after. I had a feeling it was probably discontinued or upgraded as the one I used was really old. Now I know the model number I can search for one properly :) although I’ve had a look at the one you have and it looks great!

That’s such a kind offer, I will definitely keep that in mind. You’re really not that far away and if I can’t find the 299M Ultra, the 200 sounds like it would a good (possibly better!) option.

Thank you so much, have a great day! Fran
Fran Howson GCF APF
Turnerframing
Organisation: Turner Framing
Interests: Fine Art, American Football NFL, XBox

Post by Turnerframing »

I've been using a second hand Cassese for years (CS79) and recently bought a new CSTWO. I can't recommend it enough! The new machines are fantastic. I fell they are a real improvement on the old models which Ive used in many framers that I worked for. D www.turnerframing.co.uk