Threads for lacing textiles

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Threads for lacing textiles

Post by Rainbow »

I'm just getting into textile framing, like cross-stitch etc, and I'm really enjoying it. I need to stock up on some suitable threads for lacing, but not sure which to use - linen, silk, cotton, polyester etc. I know it will partly depend on the weight/thickness of the textile but is there anything to do with threads that I should be aware of? A "crafty" relative says I shouldn't use cotton because it will disintegrate in time.

Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Threads for lacing textiles

Post by Not your average framer »

I do the stretching and my wife does the lacing. We have a variety of different threads according to the nature of the items we are stretching. We were at one time supplied with various different types of thread by Roboframer (a previous forum member), who knows a lot about textile framing and he supplied us with crochet thread and baby wool, we also use linen thread when we need something a bit stronger for heavy woolen tapestries, but that's about it.

Our normal procedure is to lace everything, but where customers don't wish to pay for lacing, lighter textiles are pinned to 5mm foamboard with conservation mountboard between the foamboard and the textiles and the pins remain in place for framing. I use stainless steel rust proof dressmakers pins. The colour of the mountboard facing the textiles can be significant, as there often are places where the colour shows through and may not always result in the best presentation, little details like this can show that extra bit of class.

For much heavier textiles such as heavy woolen tapestries, where the customer does not wish to pay the extra for lacing, I have stainless steel rustproof wide crown staples and can stretch these on to a wooden stretcher frame. To be honest, I don't much like this method, as I don't personally like using staples on textiles, as I regard this as a suspect practice. I also will not use double sided tape on textiles either.

Textile items that are not laced and employ adequate quality materials do not get my label on the back of the frame. When I tell customer that my label is not going on their frame, a reasonable proportion of these customers often decide to have their work laced after all. I also refuse to trim customers textiles myself, but I will let the customer borrow my scissors and trim it themselves.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

A wonderful answer, Mark, thanks ever so much. There's a really good old-fashioned haberdashers not far from me and I'm planning to go there next week so I'll get some crochet thread of different weights, that looks perfect.
Not your average framer wrote:lighter textiles are pinned to 5mm foamboard with conservation mountboard between the foamboard and the textiles...
This has been on my mind as well but I'll post a different thread (no pun intended :D)

Thanks again for your answer :)
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I use cotton rag board facing the fabric.
A customer suggested that they could do the lacing (I have had some very proficient lacing brought in in the past so I went for it. I supplied a piece of rag board with foam board backing cut to size.
This arrived on wednesday, with the rag board facing the back...
Having explained in detail, the importance of conservation materials and techniques, I thought the use of packing tape was a stroke of genius :head:
Attachments
8e70b6ae-dfbb-4218-90a5-752d378d73bd.jpg
8e70b6ae-dfbb-4218-90a5-752d378d73bd.jpg (228.83 KiB) Viewed 3754 times
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I don't know why, but the stuff we call baby wool is 100% percent cotton and contains no wool at all, so why it is called baby wool is a bit of a mystery. It is quite soft and feels like wool, but it's not.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Hopefully Tudor Rose will be along in a minute, she is passionate about textiles.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Rainbow, one of our most respected members has a couple of the best and most comprehensive books on framing and lacing textiles I have ever seen and I'm sure he may offer to lend them to you..

I guarantee once you have read them you will be adding immensely to your skills and the service you can offer your customers.

Peter.
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

I only use natural fibers (cotton or linen). Each has several weights (strengths) that are available. I prefer to use the lightest weight thread for the task at hand. Something that is lighter that the textile being mounted. I rather have the thread break over damage to the textile. I learned this from a friend and an AIC Fellow conservator of the textiles at the Henry Ford Museum.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer

That's probably the best and most straight forward answer so far.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks ever so much for all the answers. I've now been to the haberdashers and got set up with a selection of threads and needles, plus T-pins and Fray Stop, and I've done my first laced "commercial" work :)

Re books, I've got Vivian Kistler's "Needlework Framing" and Annabelle Ruston's "Framing and Presenting Textile Art" and I've found both of them very clear and helpful.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

A relative has given me lots of 100% cotton that she no longer needs. Please can anyone explain the difference between cotton and crochet cotton, if there is one.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Just Googled 'difference between cotton and crochet cotton' and got this, might be of help

https://crochetnmore.wordpress.com/2014 ... hreadhook/
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Thanks, Steve, that's an interesting article. Who'd have thought there was so much to it! (somebody more expert than me :D)