framing without mounts

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jarvman
Organisation: Photographer
Interests: Photography, Framing, Drinking

framing without mounts

Post by Jarvman »

Hi all.

I am to frame some work without mounts. I have bought fillets to space the glass away from the art.

1. What is the best way of sticking the fillet to the inside of the frame. The fillets are non-adhesive. Wood glue could get messy imaginably. Can very thin strips of double sided adhesive be bought?

2. Is it necessary to have two layers of board behind the art. i.e mountboard and then a backing board.
Could I get away with just using a backing board?
What would be the best way to attack the art to this to keep it flat. I did not want to dry mount the art of to board.

Thanks
prospero

Re: framing without mounts

Post by prospero »

If it's on paper it will go wrinkly/wavy/cockly. Not might -will. :|

This method needs the print to be dry-mounted to ensure it stays flat.

The usual practice for fixing spacers ('fillets' are a different thing in my nomenclature. :wink: ) depends on
what they are made of. Tiny spots of PVA glue with d/s tape to hold it in place. I personally agree with your
reservations and don't like having wet glue anywhere near the art. Wooden spacers can be done with tape only,
but in some cases can be mitred so they can't shift anyway.

I've sometimes stuck the spacers to the glass with d/s tape. A bit risky because pressure-sensitive adhesives can creep, but never had one go bad.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
kuduframes
Organisation: Kudu Frames
Interests: Art, photography

Re: framing without mounts

Post by kuduframes »

I've used Lion FrameTek EconoSpace Self Adhesive Spacer, cat.no. 2729 for years, works very well.
This will solve the issue of attaching the spacer to the glass but all the other points that Prospero mention are still valid.