Dust extraction

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Dust extraction

Post by Abacus »

For those of you with a cassese 939/969 or equivalent, could I ask which dust extractor you use?

If anyone else has any input I’m listening.

Thinking of getting one of those Axminster cyclone extractors 2hp.

Ta
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Dust extraction

Post by fusionframer »

Not used on cassese, but use axminster trade 2hp dust extractor for my planer thicknesser, bandsaw and table saw, and been very pleased with it. I have it set up for all 3 with ducts and blast gates and it doesn't get clogged like my record power one. It even works with beech which is the worst i have found for blockages.

I also have several axminster machines which i have always been happy with.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Thanks for that nick. One of my concerns is that I was planning to put the dust extractor in a different room from the saw, but I don’t think it has a remote on switch, what’s your setup?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I use vacuum cleaners, no doubt proper dust extractors are better, but I had the vacuum cleaners already and have just carried on with what I got. I'm not saying that this is the right thing to do, it just how things have happened for me.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Katie Dougan
Organisation: Null
Interests: sewing, crochet and keeping my picture framer husband and kids out of trouble

Post by Katie Dougan »

So, Vacuum cleaners are suitable for production saws ? You are having a laugh
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I have my dust extractor in the corner of my workshop with and split along the way with "Y" splitters (which i found better than 90 degree turns) and blast gates. One pipe to my thicknesser is almost 6 metres without an issue, so putting in another room won't be a problem.

I use these for turning on my extractor.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energenie-13 ... of-3/5964h

The only issue is my extractor and the one you linked to require a 16 amp plug. For my extractor, i run the 16 amp plug into one of these

https://www.marshallindustrial.co.uk/de ... unit-240v/

This then allows me to use my remote to turn the extractor on and off. All i have to do is open and close the correct blast gates depending on what machine i am using. I have not had a problem using this with my extractor. My machines which are 16 amp are plugged into 16 amp plugs on the walls and wired directly. My bandsaw would still blow the 13amp fuse every time using the defender into a 13amp socket, but the startup ampage required to get it going is huge. It is a 20 inch bandsaw with a 158 inch blade. I have found that the extractors i have used have not caused a problem for me.

The only issue you could encounter, depending where it is going, is the fuse box. If it is an industrial unit or shop, you should be fine, but at home, you will most likely have a b rated 16 amp mcb in the fuse box. This will possibly trip on startup occasionally. Switching it to a c rated one which allows a greater start up ampage will sort the problem.

For bags and ducting etc, i use

https://www.dustspares.co.uk/

The bags don't have to be exact and i buy 50 at a time, although i do reuse them.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Abacus

Post by Abacus »

Really helpful, thanks Nick
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

My main vacuum cleaner is a workshop vacuum cleaner, with HEPA filters and a 2kw motor and it sounds like concord taking off, it also sucks out the wood chippings that pile up inside my morso and in my previous shop used to pull the carpet tiles off the floor even though they are stuck down. It cost a lot less than a proper dust extractor and I did not have the money for a proper dust extractor. I'd already bought it before needing to think about dust extraction, it was that, or nothing. I did say that a proper dust extractor is probably better and by the way I am not having a laugh.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer