Is there an easier way to make multi pane cabinet doors?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Is there an easier way to make multi pane cabinet doors?

Post by Not your average framer »

I sometimes make small display cabinets for some customers. Generally older style and a bit quirky is what people seem to like and my method of construction could do with being a bit easier, so I thought that I'd ask if anyone has a better way.

I make my cabinet doors mostly out of rectangular section obeche and cut down bits of Simons PIN/26 which are sliced down the middle on my table saw and then the bit without a rebate gets a rebate added of the table saw. Not a lot of finesse about it and I use only the bits made from the bits made from the inside of the pin/26 on one cabinet door, or the outside bits, but don't mix the bits from both sides. Some of these bits get glued back together to make the mullions.

These bits of PIN/26 are fitted inside of the rectangular section obeche. I know this may sound a little crazy and slightly long winded, but it's what works at the moment. The bits of PIN/26 are glued in place and secured with a compressed air driven brad nailer and for ease of working the corner joints are mitres cut on the morso, but I am aware that square cut but joints would look more in keeping with traditional expectations. I am at present cross nailing the corners, because underpinning wedges would just look wrong.

To be honest, I would like there to be a more natural flow to the work, when I am making these. They are just a bit too bitty. People seem to like this sort of stuff and I would push them a bit more, if I had a more convenient way of making them.

My thanks in anticipation,
Mark
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: Is there an easier way to make multi pane cabinet doors?

Post by fusionframer »

If you have a router table then i would use these:

https://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-s ... set-718730

From what i understand, it would be the same principle as making a window with panes.

For the outer frame, you use the sash ovolu and machine the detail, then on the mullions. You cut the rebates, either on a table saw or using a cutter on the router table to get this:
20190814_095219.jpg
You then use the scribe for both top and bottom rails and mullions to get a perfect fit. I have tenon and mortice joints for windows for strength, but with the glue on end grain and the scribe joint, that would be strong enough for small cabinets.

You can get different cutters for different finishes.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I made (the top half) of my shed door.

A enormously fiddly job. Formed all the rebates using quadrant.

40 pieces to cut on my Nobex saw. Some of which were 22.5º

The bad news is... There are 40 on the inside as well.

The even worse news............ There is an identical door the other side. :|

(The good news is I didn't have to buy any glass. :P )

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Nick and Peter,

That's pretty much the limit of what I was expecting. I have not found getting the mullions and stay to be the right fit has been very easy. I guess that those are more used to this, don't need to do the trail and error bit like me. For something which seems quite straight forward, it can seem a bit fiddlly sometimes.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

It can be fiddly, but practice (like anything) makes you speed up. I will be making 6 sash windows in september, all sashes are 8 panes. It was easier when we used putty, but now we generally use beading, so 64 to cut per window can take a while!
This is i guess similar to what you are looking to achieve, and can be done with a pair of router cutters. I used spindle moulder cutters for this, but have used a router table and cutters in the past.
20190814_160616_resized.jpg
The alternative is to use one pane of glass and fix beading on either side of the glass to make it look like multiple panes. Some window manufacturers do this.

No real quicker way other than practice and bigger machinery unfortunately.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer

Thanks Nick,

Yes, you are right, but I won't be doing it with a router, because the table saw is ready to go at a moments notice, whereas the router takes me more time to get it set up. Space is a big problem at my new shop and I've not really got enough more sorted to have space to use everything yet, but eventually I'll get things better sorted.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer