Glam Moulding

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Glam Moulding

Post by cleaver »

Hi All,

I've been lucky enough to acquire a ltd edition print by David Bowie.

I want to put it in a moulding that glitters (and behind museum glass). Not the Christmas decoration type of glitter (that flakes off), but more glitter encapsulated within acrylic (if that makes sense).

I want a simple, flat wood moulding, but covered in the above.

I can't imagine anyone would produce such moulding, so has anyone ever done anything like this / got any ideas, please?

The job is for me, and I'm in no rush. I just want to look in to doing it this way.

Ta :D
cleaver

Re: Glam Moulding

Post by cleaver »

Sorry, please ignore that request for help....I'm going another route with it.

:D
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I know you have come up with an alternative, but have you ever looked at a resin finish? I have used it on a coffee table and it was really smart.

Just a thought.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Getting an authentic finish where the whole moulding is finished in silver is quite a difficult task. Silver by it's self can look a bit dull, boring and lifeless , if using anything that contains auminium basued paints, or bronzing powders. Silver leaf tends to be much better, but it requires a different level of skill and cost to apply it to a good standard. Very often, silver finishes are much more visually interesting if a little distressed and//or treated with something to add a washed, or patina effect.

Silver finishes very often work well to add an interesting highlight to a moulding which is not primarily silver, but much of the moulding has a finish to contrast with the silver. I find it a convenient technique to produce a two part stacked moulding profile and assemble the two separately finished parts together, to form one seamless complete profile. This is not an easy thing to accomplish without having this use of a table saw to cut mouldings to fit together perfectly seamlessly.

The two parts have most of the hand finishing completed before assembling together, with a final last coat of hand finishing over the complete assembled profile to hide the join between the two separate stacked mouldings. It does not make too much sense, to do this in ways that make things too complicated, or time consuming. As always, my aproach of simple, quick and easy is usually esscential to ensuring that work of this nature will remain profitable and worthwhile.

Too much time spend do this sort of job will consume your intended profit margin at a rate that will make you head spin. There is always a price tag, which determines whether customers will pay for hand finished, or stacked frames, or not. Also equally important, your profit margin does not to be a realistic one from your own business requirement. I know that some of own members on this forum are framing almost as a hobby, that just happens to provide a little bit of pocket money. If you can work to be fast and efficient at all times, then things start to make better financial sense.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Oh Nick, you've got me thinking now (never good for anyone!). I'd love to see a pic of the coffee table, if you ever get the chance and don't mind.

When I was a kid, we had this stuff called 'Plasticraft' (spelling?). Basically, it was 2-part resin, and you could put anything in it and preserve it forever. God, did it stink, and I can't see 'Elf & Safety letting a 10 year-old loose with it in this century :lol:

Anyway, intrigued how you did it and what the table looks like, Nick.

Thanks Mark. The job is for me, so my time doesn't matter. Lost my nerve a bit, and thought I'd go for an off the peg moulding (silver, with black accents). Still quite 'out', but not full-on blockbuster (whoops, wrong band). But Nick might just sway me back!

:)

PS. Just Googled Plasticraft, and the sight of the box just took me back 40-odd years :clap:
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

Hi,

I will find my one as not on my phone, but not disimilar to this one i found.
il_340x270.1906834395_9zsn.jpg
il_340x270.1906834395_9zsn.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 2520 times
My one was from an oak tree on a nearby farm. They wanted a coffee table and as it had splits and imperfections, resin was a good way of filling these. I think i took some WIP photos so will dig those out.

The principle is the same for using on a frame. I had to make a sealed bath for the oak to sit in as the splits in the oak went all the way through. I used celotex insulating sheets as i use those when cutting with track saws.

I used epoxy resin and hardener and added colour pigments. I have thought about doing a frame with it, but like all things, it's finding the time.

The method would be to make the wooden frame, then create a reservoir to pour resin in using celotex on inside and outside of frame.

Then pour in and you will get a perfect level epoxy frame. Then is is just a lot of sanding and polishing. You might find a few imperfections, but you can just fill these I put mine through a big belt sander. I used if memory serves, a polyurethane varnish.

I used epodex brand and i looked and you can get platinum silver pigment.

The even easier way is use a scoop moulding and fill the scoop with resin.

I will find my photos and stick them up on here, but if you look on youtube, you will see loads of amazing examples.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

cleaver

Post by cleaver »

Nick, that looks stunning. :clap: :shock: :clap:

I bet you could sell these like hot cakes - if you've a mind to.

Thanks so much for your posts on this thread - so great to learn about such imagination & craftsmanship.

:D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Nick,

WOW, what a table! I'm seriously impressed with that. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer

Post by fusionframer »

The materials are not expensive, and you mix resin with hardener as you use it, so it will last well. I had to build up layers with the table as if memory serves me correctly, you should only layer about 40mm at a time, but that won't matter with a frame. I reckon you could make some really amazing frames.

Back to reality though, i am off to finish making a wheelie bin store for a customer.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk