Creases in a poster

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Creases in a poster

Post by Rainbow »

I've been given a poster to frame, which has got some creases in it. The customer can't explain how it's got creased, but I suspect it's been stored without protection and has got a bit knocked about. The creases aren't knife-edge, but they are noticeable. I've been asked to do what I can to remove/reduce the creasing, but the poster isn't of any significant value so it's not worth taking to a restorer. It's a new-ish poster, very thick paper and quite stiff. I thought I'd seen recommendations to put a dampish cloth along the back and then put some mountboard/weights on it but I can't find such a thread. Am I imaginng this recommendation? I haven't got a dry mounter.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Creases in a poster

Post by Not your average framer »

I regularly end up having to tackle problems like this for by customers and I already was involved in bookbinding, paper restoration and some art restoration long before I became involved in picture framing, so I don't find this sort of thing particularly worrying to take on. However, it can be a bit daunting when you are thrown into the deep end for the first time to solve a problem involving a customers property.

The first thing that I would suggest to you is that the least you need to do to treat the problem is usually the most appropriate, to quote a well know proverb "You don't need a sledge hammer to crack a nut". Try a gentle solution first and don't go beyond that without thinking out the possible problem, in other word get used to doing a risk assessment and know what you are getting into.

It sounds like these creases might be less severe and perhaps gently flattening the poster between two sheets of mountboard, with a sheet of glass on top and a flat stable surface underneath, is probably a good first move. Don't be tempted to try and do this all in one go. It may not flatten all the way in one go. Let it settle down for a few days first before adding any further weight.

Do it in stages and inspect it between stages and let the fibres in the paper relax slowly. After it has relaxed as much as it will under the weight of one sheet of glass, it might be time to try two sheets of glass. There's no hurry, take your time and let it slowly happen. Before you decide to add another sheet of glass to increase the weight, just have a quick visual check that everthing is going well.

This way you should not encounter anything to be worried about. "Softly, softly catch ye monkey".
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Rainbow

Any chance of up-loading a photo showing the extent of the creases?

Peter.
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Many thanks for that advice, Mark.

Pete, it's all tucked up in bed now for the next few days as Mark suggested. Fingers crossed!
prospero

Post by prospero »

This is a very tricky situation. You are a framer not a restorer. People tend to think that framers have all sorts of magic
tricks. My advice is, take what you are given to frame and frame it. Don't try and 'improve' it.

Don't let someone else's problem become yours. :P
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Rainbow

Post by Rainbow »

Very good advice, prospero!