Framing oil on 5mm ply

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Framing oil on 5mm ply

Post by Ed209 »

A local artist has asked me to frame a oil on 5mm ply it is fairly large at 2M x 1.75M
It hasn’t been decided yet if it’s going to be conventionally framed or a tray frame but the concern either way is warping so any advice please.
Apparently it is perfectly flat at the moment and is going to be varnished front and back, it is to be hung in a coastal location in a modern apartment.
I have not yet seen it or has indeed the people that commissioned it and the artist would like to debut it my shop where they will choose the moulding.
The artist is not sure of the quality of the ply but it came from B&Q for £20 so not Maine grade
prospero

Re: Framing oil on 5mm ply

Post by prospero »

Why do artists never think things through? :roll:

You could just frame it as-is and wait and see. If it warps it can be flattened (possibly) but maybe better to take measures
to keep it flat. The best way IMHO is to make a frame from some square softwood with cross-braces and glue it down.

* Pine cladding makes it easy to do half-lap joints if you laminate it. Makes a very stable frame.

Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

Hi Paul, I hope things are going well in your new shop :D

Glad to read it's being varnished both sides, that will help. I would definitely go the sub-frame route as prospero suggests and because of it's size, I would add extra strength to the corners.

Peter.
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

You don't skimp on screws,Peter! I do like your trick to avoid cutting all those half-laps. :clap:
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I have never framed a painting on 5mm ply anywhere near that size, but I'm not convinced that a piece of cheap B &Q 5mm ply is going to remain stable in the long term. Supporting it from behind with a support framework, does not mean that it won't bow outwards away from that framework. Maybe I don't think like everyone else, but I would not be offering to frame it.

I would not want the responsibility to put things right if anything goes wrong at a later date. Not for me, thanks!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I would add that I would glue it to the subframe along the bars which would make it an integral part of the painting.

The artist should have done that first. :lol:

The subframes are easy to make. Square-cut the lengths - not rocket science. :D Then assemble 'dry' with one screw per corner.
Square it up by measuring diagonally. Then remove one corner screw in turn and slap plenty of glue on. Re-screw and add screws.
Then it's just a question of gluing/screwing crossbars and filling in the second layers.

I find 8mm pine cladding with the tongue side ripped off makes the most economical construction. 12mm if you want more beef. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

One thing occurred to me about the dimensions of the ply, if it's from b&q I wouldn't have thought they do anything larger than 2.4 x 1.2m so is the painting on more than one piece?
Roger
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

I have got the size wrong I think it probably should be 2000mm x 750mm