Hobby level framing equipment

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Hobby level framing equipment

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't think that we had a thread to cover the sort of equipment to suit those who are serious about getting set up with the necessary equipment to enable them to undertake framing at a level that produces a reasonable quality of frames and mounts, etc., but within a limited financial budget. This is by it's very nature going to be a set up not geared to a particularly high volume level of production, but I hope that this may be an opportunity for those who started out with a set up within such limited finances, to give feedback such as may be useful to anyone considering getting into framing at this level.

I started off initially with just a mount cutter, which was a C & H 4060A. It was not the earlier version with the cutting head return spring on the outside of the blade holders, but the later version with the springs hidden. The start of cut and end of cut stops were an optional extra and this mount cutter did not include these stops. The way that this mount cutter had to be used was to mark out the back of the mount with a pencil against the cutter bar and you had to cut the corners of the aperture slightly short and complete cutting the corners with a hand held single ended razor blade. By doing it like this, it was possible to avoid over-cuts and undercuts.

When I first started actual framing, I bought a "Nobex Proman 110" hand operated mitre saw, a Lion "Simple" underpinner head which fits into a cheap drill stand and an "Easy" framing vice and I started out framing using these. There are other makes of such equipment, which I have not used and therefore cannot comment on from my own experience, but I will say that the items which I have have mention here were of reasonable quality, more than adequate for durability and did the job without any problems.

I hope that others will feel free to add to this thread and add further information such as may be useful to those looking for feedback and practical advise before buying basic equipment for their own set up. Background information about your own experiences would also be interesting if you feel inclined to share this as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Re: Hobby level framing equipment

Post by cleaver »

Great idea for a thread, Mark. :clap:

We all have to start somewhere, and I think ‘hobby’ kit can produce very reasonable results. I’d go so far as to say results that can be on a par with professional kit...especially as customers aren’t always as perfectionist as framers are (quite rightly, IMO, as framers want to give true value for money etc.).

Also pleased to see this thread because down the years I’ve seen a few comments which were tantamount to ‘don’t waste your time and money with hobby kit’. That sort of response might dissuade people from starting out on their journey in framing, as they are led to believe that one has to go Morso, Keencut Gold, CS88 as a bare minimum (at a cost well into four figures, no matter how lucky you get on Fleabay or wherever).

As you rightly say Mark, hobby kit can be slow, but I think it’s a great place to start – and find out whether you like framing...before you go straining your car’s suspension (and your bank balance) with a green dalek!

Mark, I’ve loved reading about how you started and built up gear slowly but surely. Anyone starting off in framing would be well advised to seek out your posts, where you've recounted that fascinating journey.

I started with a used Nobex Proman (which I still have); bought for about £40. People might be surprised at how clean and accurate a cut they produce. Quite simply, a very handy bit of kit.

If newbies going down this route choose appropriate mouldings, they can join frames the old-fashioned way (panel pins & glue), quite acceptably. To that end. I’d strongly recommend ‘gluing up’ first with a Veritas Speed Clamp (or the like). Again, great piece of kit (for about £35) that’ll be very handy to have around even if you crack open the wallet for some pro gear.

Glass can be cut with a pen-type cutter (or you could use a supplier’s glass cutting service).

I hear good things about Logan Mountcutters. Although they may not be in the same league as the Keencuts of this world, they can produce respectable results.

So I reckon people could kit themselves out with used hobby gear from £100-£200. And if, after a few frames, they decide this caper isn’t for them, the frames they’ve made will probably have paid for the kit.

Good luck to anyone starting out – and you’re half-way there if you use this fine forum!

:)
PS. I also have a 4060A!
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I would not total say ignore the comments about avoiding hobby equipment. There are some items of hobby level equipment which are not so bad, but there's some stuff that's best to recognise as better, or worse than others and some items that members may like to warn others about why they wish they had not bought a particular item.

I not backing any favorites here, but just saying some meaningful comments and experiences so those looking to invest in a cheaper set up can have an idea how to get the best value and usefulness for their money. Everything has it's pro's and con's and if you can give any insights in an unbiased, inoffensive and truthful way, bearing in mind that we like to be nice here. This may be helpful to those starting out of a limited budget.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I started out with a Nobex saw and they do a reasonable job. Problem is, on larger mouldings it shows it's limitations.

An artist friend of mine on hearing I had some framing kit went to a sale and bought up a load of BIG moulding and wanted
me to cut it up into 10, 12x16" frames. That's 80 cuts. :o I had a very achy arm but I learned a lot about filler. :cry:

I found that the guides need constant lubrication and the problem is that this can transfer to the cut surface and effect the glue bond.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

Hobby level equipment is just that. It is produce to sell at a price which hobbyists will be happy to pay and that means compromises to met an acceptable price. If you are expecting to do anything other than low volume framing, your rate of getting the work out of the door is likely to become a limiting factor, that's when you will need to consider upgrading to proper professional equipment and get the work out the door at a much better rate.

I was not able to start with fully professional equipment at first, but I had to start somewhere and upgrade at a later date, there was no other way. If this is the only way for you to get started and it worked for me, it may be a worthwhile option to consider. Starting a business from nothing is not for the faint hearted, but it's jolly hard work and at times quite disappointing. However, a lot of us got started that way.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer