Point drivers

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
neilsgti16v2
Organisation: Neils Framing
Interests: Photography

Point drivers

Post by neilsgti16v2 »

Morning all, I'm finding my handheld fletcher point driver isn't firing the points in far enough in hardwood, even with the adjuster adjusted. What are others using? Is it worth getting a pneumatic one, the thinking being they're more powerful. Thanks.
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Re: Point drivers

Post by JonathanB »

I had the same problem and swapped to an Omer pneumatic gun some time ago. The points are a fraction of the cost, fire easily into hardwood and it’s very handy to be able to fire points through the edge of the backing board into a narrow moulding to give a frame much more strength. It’s been a good move for me and makes life so much easier.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
neilsgti16v2
Organisation: Neils Framing
Interests: Photography

Post by neilsgti16v2 »

Brilliant, thanks Jonathan. Is your model Omer Flexi Point 15mm, Model 53? Looking at their products that's the only one I can find that's not a stapler or nail gun. Cheers,
JonathanB

Post by JonathanB »

Mine's a 4097-16 (page 38 Lion catalogue). I bought mine second hand and it's worth seeing if you can find one. Lion will strip down and service an Omer gun and they say they last for ever. My gun was made in 2001 and is still going strong. I think a service through Jack Siwinski at Lion is about £70.00.
Good luck.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
JonathanB

Post by JonathanB »

Sorry - should have made it clear - a stapler is exactly what you're after. It's a different way of fixing rather than using points and is much more adaptable.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
prospero

Post by prospero »

I have never been a fan of 'Framers' points. I used to use Triangles until 13mm use became unavailable. I now use
Fletcher Multipoints (Yellow Gun) and I find them better. They are thinner than the std points and hold much better.
They have two barbed prongs and also a handy hole which is great for fixing stacked frames. They are also more flexible
and you can fire them at an angle and bend them down. :yes: :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About