Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Martymar2in
Organisation: Reelcellar
Interests: Mount cutting

Gunnar rapido snagging the board

Post by Martymar2in »

Hi,
Any Gunnar rapido experts out there?
Have just bought the machine 2nd hand, was cutting fine when I got it home. Went to cut some mounts today, and it’s snagging and producing really rough cuts, any ideas why this could happen??
I’ve changed the blades and tried changing the blade Depth, but it hasn’t made any difference, was cutting fine last week!!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Gunnar rapido snagging the board

Post by Not your average framer »

I would say that this has got nothing to do with the blade depth setting, or the computerised comtrol of the CMC, also mechanical failures of that order of magnitude don't happen overnight either. I think that something is wrong with the clamps the lock the mountboard in place. Is the board edge clamping powered by compressed air? I am assuming that this is so!

Please forgive me for suggesting this, if I am wrong, but was the compressor switched on and connected, or is the compressor not delivering the required level of air pressure. There's a big clue here, look at the angle of the apertures to the outside of the board. The outside edges are nice and straight, but the aperture is all over the place, the board is moving during cutting and the aperture edges are getting ripped up because the blade is taking the line of least resistance with a board that is not staying clamped.

In all likelyhood this will not take much to sort this out!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Martymar2in
Organisation: Reelcellar
Interests: Mount cutting

Post by Martymar2in »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The clamps are running on compressed air and the compressor is supplying 6 bar to the rapido. The outside cut is the last cut in the process and the smaller apertures are actually cut first.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Are the clamps locking the board in solidly and preventing movement while cutting? If the direction of blade mountmement is in line with normal blade alignment the cutting edge should be cutting cleanly not tearing. I'm still suspecting the clamps. Have the clamps failed? Is the board moving while the machine is cutting?
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

This is very strange. If the outside cut cuts perfectly, why does not the inside cut? Have you got something stored that has cut perfectly before? If so can you try that again? You may be cutting using corrupted data. I'm not thinking that the electronics, or the mechanics is fault. If the machine can cut the outside of the mount correctly, then things are working.

Is it cold in your workshop? Computers don't like the cold and it affects the propagation delay between digital circuits, data that arrives outside of the expected window gets missed, or corrupted. Maybe your workshop heating has been off for a day, or too. Try putting the heating on for a while and switching on the computer and the Gunnar, so that any fans can circulated the warmer air inside and warm things up.

This does not sound like a major failure, you are probably looking for something minor.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

The motherboard of your computer has what is known as memory access wait state settings to suit the speed of the installed memory. However, it is a fact that the speed of the memory and the propagation delay of the memory bus drivers is somewhat temperature dependant. If your workshop gets cold enough the data bus interface will be looking for valid data, before the data appearing on the bus is correct, or stable.

If this is the problem, it is simple to fix, just turn on the heating and wait.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

What board is that? Have you tried it with a different sort? :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Have you got the blade in the right way round :sweating: looks like the blade is being dragged rather than cutting
Have you contacted the seller who you bought if from , as the cuts looked okay In the advert
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Post by Abacus »

This happens on a wizard CMC when the head is not aligned correctly (I.e. on first use after power on, one is asked to align the head. If this is not done correctly then you get the problem above, the blade is sideways to the cut instead of inline). I’m not familiar with the gunner procedure though and can’t find a manual online.
Not your average framer

Mmmm, it cuts the outside o.k., but not the aperture. If the machine cut the inside first and that's wrong and the cuts the outside afterward and that is looking all right, has the blade alignment been sorted in between cutting the aperture and cutting the outside. Sorry, but I'm not sure if this rings true.

What have we tried and established so far? Has the machine been tested at normal room temperature after standing with everything on for an hour, or two. Is the blade out of alignment, when it starts up? If so how does it get back into alignment before cutting the outside? Does the machine cut the aperture and the outside with the same head and blade?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Th OP has not said he has cut the outside of the mounts with the machine, I think Abcus could be right, the head is not aligned, especially as it's only just been bought, so in the move could have miss-aligned, my part-timer miss-aligned my CMC head by accident the other week, two minute job to do,
Why not contact Sarah at Gunnar, she's bond to know
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Not your average framer

Martymar2in wrote: Sat 28 Dec, 2019 12:43 pm Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
The clamps are running on compressed air and the compressor is supplying 6 bar to the rapido. The outside cut is the last cut in the process and the smaller apertures are actually cut first.
I had assumed the outside was cut on the CMC, but perhaps that is not the case. I don't have a CMC so i could easily be wrong.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Sorry only read the opening post, not the reply
Steve CEO GCF (020)

Not your average framer

I'm sometimes prone to doing that too! It does not mean that you are necessarily wrong, after all you know more about CMC's that me.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

Now looking again at the photos, the outside cut does not look very good either, again I would agree with Abacus, head alignment, the blade is travelling along at an angle to the line of direction, so not cutting right
Steve CEO GCF (020)

upload
Organisation: alloa
Interests: movies

Post by upload »

can you put a video on youtube with the head cutting .

ive got a gunnar
always look an the bright side of life...
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

Hello all - Martin was in contact with me last week

Regards
Sarah/GUNNAR
GUNNAR

Post by GUNNAR »

Martin was in contact with me last week.

Regards

Sarah/GUNNAR

Don't know why this posted twice?