'Canvas' stretching

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Parm
Organisation: Studios
Interests: Classic car restoration

'Canvas' stretching

Post by Parm »

Hi all. A customer has bought in a canvas for stretching. Its not really a canvas though more like a bed sheet - really thin cloth. The painting on it is in acrylic and in places really thick. It measures 1m sq. I advised the customer that stretching may possibly tear it, and that any cracks in the acrylic would open up and be more visible. She's happy for me to proceed. Would it be better to try to tack it onto board rather than stretcher bars OR any other suggestions? Thanks in advance :)
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Re: 'Canvas' stretching

Post by fusionframer »

If material more like a bedsheet, perhaps sewing it around a board as you would a tapestry. That would give it a good even tension and there would be less risk of paint cracking.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
JonathanB
Organisation: Dovetail Framing
Interests: Travel, music and gardening

Post by JonathanB »

Parm - I think Nick's suggestion of treating it like a piece of needlework is a good one. Assuming the rebate of the frame you're planning to use will accommodate it, you might consider using 10mm foam board as a useful support. It doesn't readily bend, is very strong and supportive and will allow you to pin the work out and test the strength of it as you go, without using stretcher bars and putting the work under unnecessary strain. I've used this approach successfully with very flimsy batiks which are not of great value but need to be treated with care. Good luck.
Jonathan Birch GCF (APF)
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

With these things I tend to advise sticking them down, if at all possible with a HotPress or Jetmounter but the method depends on the quality of the “canvas” and thickness of the paint. As a last resort I have used wet glue onto a board and plenty of weights.

If these options are not available I have put on stretcher bars - very carefully with extra fabric to prevent staples going straight through or, as already mentioned, lace onto a board as a cross stitch etc.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
prospero

Post by prospero »

I've had a few of these. I would make a rigid frame from 'stretcher' moulding and face it with 5mm foamcore.
Then staple the material around the edge in the manner of a canvas. It's important not to impart too much tension.
The aim is to get it flat with no waves, but not 'drum tight'. The foamcore will support it and also make it brighter
if there are semi-transparent sections. The staples need to be fairly close or you may get scolloping on the edge.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I had quite a few on these brought in the customer brought them back from African and they were far from flat when the came. II stretched them on to stretcher profile pine mouldings. They were mostly rather large and were supplier tightly rolled. they were not fun to do. I was under the impression that the paint was made using local earth pigment and PVA glue. PVA glue is somethings used as a dry mounding adhesive and when set it can be easily re-melted in a hot press. I would urge caution about dry mounting anything that contains PVA based paint, as the paint may melt during the dry mounting process in the hot press. Maybe, better safe than sorry.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

YPF wrote: Sat 25 Jan, 2020 7:51 pm With these things I tend to advise sticking them down, if at all possible with a HotPress or Jetmounter but the method depends on the quality of the “canvas” and thickness of the paint. As a last resort I have used wet glue onto a board and plenty of weights.
Tend to be my chosen method as well, they tend to come from Africa, with no real value, just a memory :sweating:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
YPF
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Customer: Can you frame this oil painting on a canvas that I bought whilst on holiday?

Me: What you have actually bought is an emulsion or acrylic on a very low thread count bedsheet. (Said with the utmost tact and diplomacy :wink:)
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
YPF

Post by YPF »

Not your average framer wrote: Sun 26 Jan, 2020 3:19 pm I would urge caution about dry mounting anything that contains PVA based paint, as the paint may melt during the dry mounting process in the hot press.
Mark,

I’m sure you appreciate it’s knowing your tools and how to use them. The HotPress has a temperature control and can also be used cold - so just using the very effective vacuum element. Rest assured, we are very careful with our customer’s artwork.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

YPF wrote: Mon 27 Jan, 2020 8:34 am Customer: Can you frame this oil painting on a canvas that I bought whilst on holiday?

Me: What you have actually bought is an emulsion or acrylic on a very low thread count bedsheet. (Said with the utmost tact and diplomacy :wink:)
:giggle: :giggle: :rock:
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Parm
Organisation: Studios
Interests: Classic car restoration

Post by Parm »

Good morning ! Your absolutely right, it is from Africa - purchased from a market stall. Its far to big for my Jet Mounter, so I think I will try Prosperos technique. Fingers crossed... Thank you all so very much