Spare parts for a Alpha 1M anywhere?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
lawrieh
Organisation: Lawrie
Interests: Web design, photography, cycling, big blue skies and making....

Spare parts for a Alpha 1M anywhere?

Post by lawrieh »

My Alpha 1M has 2 springs, one of them has snapped. I have lived with this for a while by pulling the foot lever up with the foot but its becoming a pain in the buttock if you get my drift.

Does anyone know who sells spares, or better still, in advance of me wrestling the old one out (its quite a tight fit by the looks of it) the spec for them so I can buy a few online and put the new ones in whilst I remove the old ones (I will replace the existing one at the same time as fitting the new one).

There are loads of spring companies that sell thousand of springs online, I am sure I can find one of the right spec online if I know the

Outside Diameter mm ( I can measure if I take the working one out first)
Wire Diameter mm ( I can measure if I take the working one out first)
Free Length mm ( I can measure if I take the working one out first)
Initial tension N ( I can maybe guess and should be able to measure)
Rate N/mm ( I can measure if I take the working one out first)

I have had a peek underneath but not lifted it up onto the bench yet to get a better look, but does anyone know the process for replacing springs before I start removing more than is necessary?
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Spare parts for a Alpha 1M anywhere?

Post by Not your average framer »

You won't have to get the exact same spring. |Generally, designers pick a spring for a standard range of spring and if it works well on the prototype, that will be the one. I've chosen spring during my career as a design engineer and sometimes the buying department have wanted my to consider an alternative spring, they obtain samples and if it works well, that's the one we use.

It's not absolutely critical that the spring is identical in every respect as long as it works. It would be technically the right thing to change both springs at the same time, so that both springs are carrying an equal loading, otherwise one of the springs will be doing most of the work and that's the one that will probably fail before the other. I hope this helps.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
lawrieh

Post by lawrieh »

Hi Mark
yes agree, I didnt need an exact copy but something near enough would be good enough, I guess I can just figure out the easiest way to get the old one working one out, measure it, hang a bag of sugar or bucket of water on the end, see how much it stretches and buy 2 similar.

thanks

L
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I'm sure Mark at Underpinner spares would have the info you need.
Whatts app is a good way to get hold of him if he's not answering 07980 303715
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Noteveryone may know this, but the CS-79 is a cheaper version of the CS-88 and features what appears to be the same, or a very similar mechanism, although it has not quite the same capacity for really large nouldings. I used a CS-79 for a number of years without any concerns for a umber of years, without any thoughts of replacing it, or any concerns about it at all.

However one day I was offered an early version of the CS-88 at a price which was too good to say no and since then I have been a fan of the CS-88, although I have had a Gelli 4000 and a Euro pneumatic underpinner along the way. As far as pneumatic underpinners go the gelli 4000 takes a bit of beating, if you can lay your hands upon one at the right price.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I am rather surprised that spare parts are no longer available for a machine that is not all that old. These machines can't be much older than 20 years, which is not all that old for an underpinner and some of the later ones might only be about ten years old. Are we expected to buy a new machine as soon as something needs replacing?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
lawrieh

Post by lawrieh »

Yes, I hate the throwaway society and always make do and mend if possible. We even wash out sandwich bags, dry and reuse them to reduce one use plastic waste.... its reminded me, although its slightly off topic, has anyone tried and can recommend an environmentally good way to wrap pictures for moving them around in anything other than bubble wrap? I have tried the "eco" version of plastic bubble wrap which has a green cast to it but I wasn't impressed as the bubbles popped very easily.

I have seen a sort of egg box style paper that is supposed to replace bubble wrap, has anyone tried that one?

Hoping to find time tomorrow to extract the unbroken spring and take some measurements.

I checked out Underpinner spares website but it doesnt look like he carries spare for the Alpha 1m.

I will try post details of replacements, if I find them for others who might run into the same problem...
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I was sent a sample of the egg box from Kite, muuuh..
If I didn't store so much work for collection, I wouldn't be so worried about wrapping, but the bubbles protected it until it's collected.
The more I buy from Lions, the less bubble I have to buy... Just sayin
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
lawrieh

Post by lawrieh »

Found a replacement spring for about £4 each so replaced them both, working a treat now. If anyone needs to do so get in touch..
Not your average framer

Thinking about this, the springs on this underpinner are quite possibly the most likely part to fail. Most of the other parts on this underpinner are not greatly subject to any really significant wear. The bearings on this underpinner will propably last for decades, if you keep them properly lubricated. So the most likely needed spare part is more likely to be the foot pedal cable and as a result I would doubt that there is not too much to be worried about following these difficulties.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer