Guitar Framing

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Guitar Framing

Post by DaveJ »

Hi guys, I've been asked to frame a guitar, I'm not really keen on building the case, happy to source one and then put frame around the front of it. The fella wants something nice and classy, any ideas on this and also the fittings to hold it in place? He wants a front opener to be able to take in and out, cheers all, D.
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Re: Guitar Framing

Post by GeoSpectrum »

How deep? Electric or acoustic? Quite some difference in weight. Not to hard to do with bare wood moulding. A45 from rose and Hollis might do it. Used upside down, you can make a hinged top frame out of more classy mounding. Put a ridgid back on the frame, the rebate lip will give you space at the back of the frame to have decently strong fittings to hold the guitar in place. You may choose to add some reinforcement. If you can, make some a shaped wooden support for the neck, this could also be used to hang the guitar. If you google ‘capo’ one of these could
Modified to hold the guitar firmly at the nut (far end of the fretboard). A shelf arrangement could be used to support the guitar at its base. If it has a strap boss, this could be used to secure it in position. Just some rambling thoughts.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
DaveJ
Organisation: FrameCraft
Interests: Picture Framing.

Post by DaveJ »

Thank you, it's electric would need to be about 150 mm deep.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Just had a delivery which might make a chunky frame!
20200124_140703.jpg
It will depend on depth required and what finish you want. If wood finish, i would make an oak frame, i have just had some 250mm wide oak boards i have used for a job, but they can be any size you want. I would do some dovetailed corners for frame and then you can use an oak moulding or make yor own profile from oak. If painted, then same principle, but i would tenon and mortice corners.

One thing with the opening of it. As it will be a wide frame, i would make it top opening and you may want to fit some stays to allow it to hold open so customer can get it in and our easily. Window type stays or gas stays can be neatly hidden behind frame.

In terms of fixings, it need to something easy again if customer needs to get to it. I would use fixings similar to fixings on a guitar stand in brass, nickel or chrome that can be fixed to decent back board and the guitar rests on neatly. There is no need for hidden fixings if it is to be in and out of the frame.

I can make a case, but you are a bit of a distance from me (near Bath) , but there may be a framer closer with woodworking machines or a framer with a different solution to mine. Alternatively a local joiner may be able to knock up a case.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

Just another thought. It would be worth using 12mm mdf or ply (possibly even 18mm), but have it rebated to sit neatly in the back of the case. That will make the whole case rigid and very strong.

If i were doing it and customer had no issue with cost and gave me free reign, i would rebate backboard with a void behind and route in grooves to the case to fit LED strips, with the battery pack hidden in void.

I have used LED lights with remote control previously.

Cheers

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.