Old Euro 8008 Underpinner - Loading Wedges Help?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Freaksheep
Organisation: Artist
Interests: Painting

Old Euro 8008 Underpinner - Loading Wedges Help?

Post by Freaksheep »

Hi All,

I am brand new to the forum, so thank you for admitting me. :)
I am a painter who has long had the desire to frame my own paintings as it is such a critical part of the creative process.
I recently bought some very old (but seemingly working) equipment from a deceased estate, namely an Orteguil 78-OR-Pedal guillotine and a Euro 8008 Underpinner. I am cleaning them both up, but given that I am really clearly in the hobbyist bracket, am not expecting to make these machines work too hard in their twilight years. I also understand that with old equipment and limited opportunity to put what I do learn into practice every day I am not likely to get very good at this amazing trade. I am however really excited to learn what I can.

I have managed to get to grips with the guillotine for the most part after having the blades professionally sharpened (although my cuts could be cleaner), and the underpinner works fine with the wedges already in there, but loading the wedges into the underpinner has me stumped. I feel like an idiot because surely this should be fairly obvious, but I can not seem to work it out! (and of course user manuals for this model are seemingly impossible to find.)

I realise this is a long shot given that the equipment must be many decades old, but can anybody offer me any advice on where, and how I load this machine?

Many thanks for whatever help anyone can offer.

Kindest Regards
Carl
prospero

Re: Old Euro 8008 Underpinner - Loading Wedges Help?

Post by prospero »

Hi Carl. :D

I have retired my venerable Euro 8001 this year. It worked fine, had started to develop funny habits. Had it
from new (1983). :lol:

I assume your machine looks like this....
euro 8008.jpg
euro 8008.jpg (12.93 KiB) Viewed 2790 times
Different arrangement to mine, but the mechanism is the same. There should be a round knob connected to a rod facing away
from you. This pushes the wedges toward the hammer. You can see the 'pusher' in a slot that is on the bed of the machine. Pull
this back and drop in a stick of wedges. What type of wedges have you? If they are the Cassese Uni type then they'll have a rubbery
coating to hold them together. This side must be UP.

Any queries, shout up. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Freaksheep
Organisation: Artist
Interests: Painting

Post by Freaksheep »

Hi Prospero,
Well that was an incredibly quick, incredibly comprehensive and even more amazingly helpful response!!! That is my machine exactly! So the problem all along was that I had the wrong wedges and I would never have known, had you not mentioned them specifically! No wonder it wasn't obvious where they were to fit! LOL! :Slap:
Thank you! I have ordered the correct ones you suggested and should be good to go by tomorrow!
I can't thank you enough!
prospero

Post by prospero »

:D Pleased to be of help. Having used one of these machines on an almost daily basis for 38 years you are
dealing with the right man. :lol: They aren't fancy or sophisticated, but are well built and reliable.

I know a few tricks if you get stuck. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About