Carithers squaring arm stop for C.I.A Classic Mat Cutter

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Carithers squaring arm stop for C.I.A Classic Mat Cutter

Post by Trecelyn »

Trying to find one of the above - part number C40135. Does anyone know where I could get one or suggest a workable alternative?

Thanks in advance

T.
prospero

Re: Carithers squaring arm stop for C.I.A Classic Mat Cutter

Post by prospero »

Do you mean C&H? I don't think the CIA deal in framing equipment. :| :lol:

( I might have one somewhere...... :roll:)
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

C & H stands for Charles and Herb Carither who were two well known brothers in the framing business based in the USA. One of then was a training provider and demostrator and the other was the engineer who designed the C & H framing equipment. I have one of their books about mountcutting, it's amazing what the framers from the USA managed to do in those early days, which would be far from easy with the better equipment that has come along since then. Many of the mount cutter manufactures that we would recognise today got it making mount cutters by following on the foundations of what C & H were producing in those early days. I suspect that Magnolia was probably the first british company producing mount cutters in the UK and they have been gone for decades. If I am mistaken, no doubt someone will tell me.

Many earlier mount cutters used to use the old fashioned safety backed razor blades which were available in 9 thou thick and 12 thou thick and those who still used these cutters, switched to more modern cutters when the started using the much denser white core mount boards. I was on a 6 month training placement at Triton Galleries when they made the change from neutral pH cream core boards to White core board and mount cutting on an old Keeton mount cutter, became much harder work, literally over night. The early Magnolia mount cutters appeared to british copies of the Keeton which came from the USA. Various parts on the Keeton, which needed replacement, had been replaced with magnolia spares, to keep the Keeton going. Framers Equipment had some various spares spares of the Magnolia, Keeton and probably the C & H and are probably a good place to check out for C & H spares.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

.......... I thought I had one, but alas no. I've an end stop for the cutter bar and a measuring scale and also
a set of multi-angle guides but no squaring arm stop apart from the one I'm using.

Shouldn't be too tricky to fashion one with a block of wood and a spring clamp. :wink:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

prospero wrote: Wed 04 Mar, 2020 2:13 pm Shouldn't be too tricky to fashion one with a block of wood and a spring clamp. :wink:
Makes good sense to me! I'd probably use some nice plywood and a toggle clamp. I reckon it would be good and solid.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Trecelyn
Organisation: Orchard Street Framing
Interests: Defying gravity, playing music

Post by Trecelyn »

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

T

P.S. Replying on this forum is a nightmare! Messages disappear into the ether when drafts are saved, previews sought or even on submission!
John
Site Admin
Organisation: Scenes Picture Framing
Interests: Forums and stuff

Post by John »

Clearing cache and cookies in your browser usually clears up the problems you mention above, Trecelin.

You can Google how to do this, but this site probably has the guide for completing this task on your browser.