Get help and framing advice from the framing community
John2301
Organisation: JT Event Photography
Interests: Photography,

Not quite cutting right

Post by John2301 »

3rd Attempt

Hi everyone,

2nd attempt, apologies if this comes up again.

Firstly I hope everyone is keeping safe, who'd have known after what seems like a lifetime talking about Brexit (remember that word) all we hear about now is this bloody awful virus. The worse being how it interrupts with are normal logic thinking of the few and convinces them to buy toilet rolls....... anyway onto more serious matters.

Im quite new to this wonderful business of frame making, who'd have thought 2 years ago how difficult this business is. I mean the machine cuts the angles, the underpinner staples it together, and we have a frame...... yet when I look at the angles......they didnt bloody meet. Having looked the various issues and taking advice over the last 2 years all is now good.

However, here is my problem. Unless my blades are sharp.....as in change them every 4 weeks ( probably making no more than 120 frames) I cannot successfully achieve the final cut, I'm no expert, but the blades need to go through the centre section an addition 2-3 mm, if so this will give me a cleaner cut.

In desperation I have began to file the stop mechanism so I can get the blades to move further, this isn't an easy process as I have nibbled away at this for over 2 hours and I have possible gained an additional 4 mm of movement, but this only equals only 1mm of forward projection. I will soon purchase a Dremel (as I'm a lazy son of a gun) to finish the job unless someone knows the magical solution.

Everywhere is clean, no obstruction, oiled and well cared for, but enough about me, the machine is in good condition as well.

Best regards

John
prospero

Re: Not quite cutting right

Post by prospero »

Hi John. :D

A bit more info would be welcome. I take it you are using a Morso?

It sounds like the classic situation. Three corners join fine - that's because the ends are free. The last corner is
where any angle deviations will manifest themselves. I concerns me that you have been filing bits. I wouldn't have
done this. Hopefully you haven't done too much damage. :o

Have you tried the 'Left Hand Tweak' (do a search on the Forum search).
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Have a look at your Morso manual, there is a adjustment that you can move the blades forwards towards you,
just found this thread , it should help you

https://www.theframersforum.com/viewtop ... ade#p23405
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback so far.

The left hand tweak was mastered some time ago, however I did try several adjustments again today, sadly no no avail. I did try the "head adjustment" but again it didn't make any difference, I didn't have access to my laptop today but I will try and have another look tomorrow, I have taken some phone pics and hope this problem makes more sense.
Attachments
Images of problem
Images of problem
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I definitely wouldn't be filing, there must be another issue.

In the meantime why not stick a piece of scrap mountboard in behind the moulding and just adjust your stops accordingly.

So if I am understanding correctly, you have the handle fully in but there is still a gap between the blades and the edge of the moulding?

Do you have more than one set of blades, and is it the same for both blades?
prospero

Post by prospero »

Thanks for the clarification. :D

Is that a plastic moulding?
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Im having serious problems here :(

3rd attempt at a reply.

Thanks again for the replies unto now.

Hi Pramsay, I have previously tried mount board in front and yes this has solved the issue, however.......me being pedantic I would like the machine to operate the way its supposed too.

I have tried 3 sets of blades and have the same issue with each set, I have tightened, removed, cleaned etc but I cannot find the magic adjustment to move the bloody head an additional 2 mm, surely I don't have the only Morso that cuts 2mm too short.

The filing will be completed on Saturday one way or another, I just hope there may be another solution before I continue to mess with a manufactures set cutting guides.

Prospero, yes its Polymer, thats all I generally use.
prospero

Post by prospero »

I think you might find that's as good as it gets with plastic. It has different properties to wood and the Morso was designed to cut wood.

I would persevere with the backing strip. :wink:

Poly moulding is aimed at the mass-produced ready-made trade who need every price break they can get. But these users have
enormous double mitre saws in order to take advantage. This type of kit is well out of the reach of the typical indie framer.
The Morso will cut plastic perfectly well - with a few slight drawbacks. :roll:
John2301

Post by John2301 »

I was hoping...sorry praying that the problem was more to do with the machine rather than the materials.

At least for once I can blame the tool rather than me. :lol:

I honestly don't think I'll be doing much wood framing as I generally only cater for the memorabilia market, which is generally the polymer range.

So the options are mount board, or filing......... I will let you know how I get on with the Dremil.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Have you tried adjusting the bolts in the handle, in picture E left hand side? One of the bolts on mine shifted(as there is room for adustement) and caused a similar issue.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Ive adjusted as best possible, filing the stop guide has been my last step as I can't see what else can be done. After having a nights sleep I have to accept that polymer probably won't play due to its composite make up. However it still doesn't give me a clean final cut. It doesn't matter if I try and nibble away using multiple cuts, or using slow or quick motion cuts, its still not what I consider a nice clean cut.

The only way around this is to create additional space to allow the head to move forward 2mm.

This I know goes against everything the manufactures would advise, but I'm guessing Polymer wasn't around when this machine was first manufactured.(does anyone know when polymer first came available). Im guessing there is no USB point on the Morso which allows the Polymer update 1.0. so its down to the Dremel adjustment. Who knows, I could have a purpose built Morso used only for Polymer.

Seriously though, you guys have been great, I will of course do everything that is advised, but D-Day (Dremel) is Saturday, I will of course keep this thread advised of the outcome in case anyone else comes across this problem.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

What's it like cutting wood ?
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
prospero

Post by prospero »

It should be noted that poly will dull the blades far quicker than wood. :|
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Did you undo the bottom bolt and adjust the top bolt in this picture as i think this is all is needed,
morso.jpg
morso.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 8077 times
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Top Bolt
Top Bolt
Top Bolt
Top Bolt
theframer

Post by theframer »

No There are 2 nuts together if you look closely at the picture there are 2 red arrows 2 both nuts loosen the bottom one and when you turn the nut above it you will see the blades move closer or further away from the back fence
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Don't file anymore - follow the link that Steve N posted the other day in reply to your query.

Alternatively seek out a Morso handbook where all is explained.
John2301

Post by John2301 »

There is hope, I haven't done that yet. Im back with the Morso tomorrow morning and thats the first thing I will try. Once again I will come back to everyone and let you know how I get on.......providing we are not on lockdown.
theframer

Post by theframer »

Look at page 39 and 40 shows you what to do,
Good luck
Dave
Attachments
MorsoManualWithPartsList.pdf
(3.88 MiB) Downloaded 142 times
John2301

Post by John2301 »

Dave "The Framer" should our paths ever meet and to all those who have helped I owe you all a pint, I may even stretch the budget to two pints if Im still in business after this worrying period of Covid 19.

So heres what happened today.

The bottom nut was removed, in future it will be loosened enough to allow access to the adjustment nut as the thread can allow movement of the adjustment handle and may cause further difficulties.

Now then, this nut does indeed move the head back and forth and without doubt the answer to my problem. One bit of advice, If you are satisfied with the head movement do not adjust your nuts.

It would have been better if I had a colleague with me as the amount of movement needed was probably 0.75mm - 1.0mm, the 2mm I was after caused the blades to slide in and out of the guide, metal on metal is never a good sound and this did cause a problem with one of the blades, did it stop me cutting a piece of polymer, damm right it never and the cutting went ahead. The results of which was good on one hand but on the other the cut was still rough.

I adjusted again with the blades just ( and I mean..... just) entering the guide and bingo, the cut was perfect.

So,a frame was made and straight it was noticeable that the left hand tweak needed to be implemented, once done and the guides adjusted a second frame was made and Im glad to say I am now one happy bunny.

I need to replace the blades tomorrow and ready to catch up on a couple of days of lost work.

Once again everyone Thank You, its been a bit if a journey but well worth it. :clap: