Canvas Stretching

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Canvas Stretching

Post by joh5nny »

I’ve taken in a canvas for stretching (approximately 1.7m by 1.2m) and can’t stretch it without getting ripples along the long sides. I’ve attached a photo which probably doesn’t look too bad, but it’s quite noticeable in reality. I’ve had two goes at it without any noticeable improvement. Have never had an issue like this before, so I’m a bit stumped. Having said that, this is the largest canvas I’ve had to stretch, so maybe this is a common issue with something of this size and somebody has some advice on how to resolve it?

There are often threads on the forum about issues with cockled paper, with the answer to that typically being that it’s not for the framer to resolve. Does the same issue exist for canvases? Is it possible that some canvases can’t be stretched without ripples?

The advice with cockled paper is often to drymount it. I’d thought of that as an option, as I regularly use my vacuum press to bond canvases onto MDF and it works really well. There’s an issue with size here though as the canvas is too large to be accommodated in my machine. If drymounting is the answer, what methodology do people use to bond canvases down?

Any help would be gratefully received.
Attachments
F9622D16-80F2-4BC4-99C0-4C867D7D0C35.jpeg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Canvas Stretching

Post by Not your average framer »

That's quite a big canvas and maybe the stretcher bars are not really up to the job. Besides the stretcher bars, are there any strainers to stop the stretched canvas for pulling the middle of the stretcher bar inwards? It is possible that the stretcher bars are bowing inwards and causing problems. There is not always a particular size where strainers are specifically required for the stretcher bars, but it will depend upon the the level of tension from the canvas and the resilience of the stretcher bars which are subject to some degree of variability.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Are you using keyed stretchers?
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
joh5nny
Organisation: Tutto Framing
Interests: Photography, walking, travel

Post by joh5nny »

I’ve made the frame using lengths of stretcher bar bought from Lion. I’ve attached photos showing the profile. I’ve added a bracing bar half way along the long sides and the frame feels pretty solid. Maybe I should try more bracing?
Attachments
6B98A910-1DDE-4B94-BA5E-3F6B62336AA1.jpeg
FA6C8CC4-8C51-4F04-BEB1-454E5BB18053.jpeg
grahamdown
Organisation: The Village Framer
Interests: Photography, Mountainbiking

Post by grahamdown »

Was the canvas stretched when it was painted? if not could it be that the medium has caused the canvas to twist?

Only time I've had the problem was with a canvas which had very heavy layers of paint in some areas on the canvas which caused it to twist.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

If the canvas was to far out of flat, before trying to stretch it, it might be be able to stretch back to being a flat canvas. Was the canvas reasonably flat when you got it, or was there a problem already there at that time. I have had customers who paint a canvas, without stretching it first and there those who choose to do this, but I must admit that I have not encountered any problems with this myself, perhaps I've been fortunate!

I would not advocate doing anything beyond normal stretching to the canvas. Don't make this customers problem your problem. Now that you done want you can to stretch the canvas, perhaps if you leave it a little while on the stretcher frame it might settle / ease a bit and allow you to try again with better results a second time.

To be honest, I have my doubts if this will be the answer and you may just have to give the canvas back to the customer and them, "Sorry, but this canvas has got a big problem and won't stretcher properly onto the stretcher frame".
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

It's normal to get little waves and puckers when stretching canvases. These can be pulled out by carefully tapping
the right key. But on a rigid frame you have no means of adjustment. Using a rigid frame may by convenient and
save you money, but you can't tension the canvas. The only way is to take it off and have another go. :|
Even if you get it flat and tight you have no guarantee that it will stay flat.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I take it you are working from the center of each side towards the corners, what I do on large canvases is start in the center with a couple of staples, then pull / stretch the canvas along the side you are stretching and do a temporary fix in the corner, hopefully to explain, with the canvas in front of you stretch and staple in the center a couple of times, then on the right hand side, near the corner, pull/stretch the canvas along the side nearest you, repeat on the left, then again on the opposite side (across the other side of the bench) then do the other two side, when you have done this on all four sides, gradually a bit at a time work your way along each side stretching until you reach each corner, I work a bit on each side until I reach the corners, you should find you will not have any ripples at all
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

Me too! That's how I was trained.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
doogey
Organisation: picture framers
Interests: art

Post by doogey »

Hi
Be careful not to over do it but when we had this problem we used to give the back of the canvas a light spray all over with distilled water and carefully work it around the stretcher with a brush!! leave over night and hey presto all wrinkles have gone!!!! Obviously this method can only be used on modern works I wouldn't do it to an old original oil painting! Up to you worked for us on hundreds of canvases