Framing a golf club

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
dcowan100
Organisation: Gilded Lily Framing
Interests: Walking, cycling, dogs, DIY

Framing a golf club

Post by dcowan100 »

Friend of mine has recently lost her son in law through cancer. He was a talented golfer and she wants a club framing - any ideas for securing the club inside a box frame? Thought of using ‘mighty mount’ product from lion but they don’t seem to do one for this application. Any thoughts welcome- thanks.
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Re: Framing a golf club

Post by YPF »

I would consider using any combination of formed rods/polyester straps/zip ties.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

If anyone tell you that framing a golf club is easy, they probably have not done one. Forget about mighty mounts and various plastic fixings, that are not always man enough for the job. Golf club are not only heavier than some people might think, but there's not a lot to get a good grip onto a golf club either. The head of the club and the handle at either end, are probably the least promising places to fasten the golf club into the frame by, in fact it's usually much easier to fasten to the long shaft that runs between the handle and the head.

The shaft is quite often a hollow tube, so be careful not to crush the tube and danmge the club, some of these shafts are made from carbon fibre tubing, sure carbon fibre is very strong, but it does have it's limits as well. Don't waste time trying to produce a hidden fixing for something like this. I know that everybody thinking that hidden and invisible fixings are what it all about, but a golf club needs a couple of nice solid fixings and if they are clamped onto the shaft in a couple of sensible position and look the part, they will be just fine.

I usually make fixing like thing, out of something classy and a couple of split clamps with a screw to tighten the two halves of each clamp onto the golf club shaft and a couple of hidden screw holes hidden at the back, will enable fixing screws to be inserted from behing the backing board to secure the club in place. I cut screw threads with a screw threading tap into the wood to avoid the possibility of splitting, if trying to screw a wood screw instead. Remember that anything which is screwed in and results in setting up even a little strain in the wood, can lead to creating a split in the wood, even years later.

I already create this like this from old moulding off-cuts and you can do the same, if you are comfortable making things out of wood and if not. it is a skill worth learning. Some of us are already using various wood working tools a even sometimes the odd item of wood machinery to cut up left over bits of moulding to make fillets and spacers, etc. So it's worth thinking about, so you can make up bits and bobs, that you can't get anywhere else. There will be other ways of doing this, but this is just the way that I find easiest to solve these sort of problems, without having to out source bits that I only need, once in a while. Oak looks really classy and special. Everyone likes oak anyway, so why not.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

YPF wrote: Sun 26 Apr, 2020 6:36 pm I would consider using any combination of formed rods/polyester straps/zip ties.
This also ticks at lot of the right boxes, if you like quick, simple and easy.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
YPF
Organisation: Your Picture Framer
Interests: Dog agility with my 2 cocker cross spaniels and a bit of woodturning. Recently taken up the ukulele!

Post by YPF »

Not your average framer wrote: Sun 26 Apr, 2020 8:18 pm This also ticks at lot of the right boxes, if you like quick, simple and easy.
Not sure if this is a compliment or a slight. The brevity of my answer belies the care and detail we would take over framing such an item.
Steve
Chief Coffee Drinker
http://www.yourpictureframer.co.uk
Not your average framer

It was not ment to be unkind. Anyone not wanting to knock up something like I sugested, won't have much trouble sourcing what needed to do it that way. I don't think that any members of this forum don't make every effort to do their work to any less than the best stdards. No slight intended.

I'm always saying in my own posts that I'm into simple, quick and easy. To keep working after my stroke, that's how I keep going, but the results are still of really great quality. I save a lot of time these days, with tools to make up for what I don't find so easy since the stroke. For example, I can't hit a nail with a hammer any more as I don't have the strength in my right hand. I'd be taping it forever and getting nowhere.

Hope I'm forgiven!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

In james Miller's book about framing objects, he shows the formed rods glued into Correx polypropylene board. Although Lion sell the 3mm thickness version of this board, I have difficulty fitting my formed rods into this board, but I found out that my local packaging supplier stocks the 4mm version of Correx and can supply it in smaller quantities. I rarely use Correx now, since I find it a bit fiddly making up the formed rods since my stroke, but it is still good for making up water proof backs for frames to be hung in steamy bathrooms and kitchens.

A lot of estate agents for sale signs are made of Correx, or something similar and the sign makers are probably quit keen to sell the off cuts as they mostly use the much larger bits, while we as framers tend to use smaller bits that they do. Any body know their local sign makers?
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

I just finished a golf club before lockdown.

https://www.facebook.com/pictureframerm ... 75626017:0

It is held using 2 pieces of melinex (around 1 inch wide) that go around the shaft top and bottom and pass through slits in the mountboard behind the club and then the melinex is fixed to the back of the mountboard using tape.

I put a bit of gorilla mounting tape behind the club head but that was just to stop it pivoting forward and smashing the glass rather than to hold up the club.

My club was only half the size of a normal club but it was an actual iron so probably roughly the same weight as a normal club.
Attachments
IMG_20200325_115508.jpg
Not your average framer

Very neat, looks good.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer