MDF cutting problem

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

MDF cutting problem

Post by technoframer »

Been using Keencut cutters for around 30 years to cut MDF, orginally a System 4000 now using an Excalibur.

Lately I have had a problem cutting 2mm MDF which I use a lot of. The wheels are tearing the board. This only happens on one side of the cut. Initially I thought the wheels were blunt, so got a new pair and this made little or no difference. Bought another pair, in case the new pair were duff. Nope, still does it.

Really scratching my head on this one. Wheels are sharp, head is tight in runners. Damping the board down helps slightly but is not a great way to solve the issue.

Any advice?
badcut.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: MDF cutting problem

Post by Not your average framer »

How is the board stored? Iam not saying that this is the problem, but perhaps it is a good first thing to check. Originally, my career was as a design engineer working in industry and cutting MDF by guillotining, die stamping or anything that involves cutting by shearing often is much more sucessful if the board is reasonably dry, flat and even at an adequate temperature.

If this MDF has been sitting around a while and perhaps you have not been heating your premises, during this covid lock down period, is the temperature, or the humidity of your MDF any different to how it would be under normal conditions. Heating the area where you wish to make a cut before you make the cut with a hot air paint stipping gun, could be the thing, that tells you the answer.

Why not try this with a scrap piece that is lying around and it not all that important, if it's wasted. If the board contains too much humidity, or is just to cold to have enough plasticity during the cutting process, getting it really hot, so that it is nice and hot, should tell you if this is the problem. I can't think of any other obvious problem that's likely to indicate a problem with the machine, so suspect a problem with the MDF, before looking for something wrong with the machine. I hope this helps.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

Are both wheels free to rotate? I had this issue and found that one wheel wasn't turning. Slackening the nut
a tad fixed it, although the wheels should not be too loose. A squirt of WD-40 doesn't go amiss now and then.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
China shop
Organisation: Framing shop & Gallery
Interests: Sport, framing

Post by China shop »

This happens to us sometimes also. I personally believe it is the make up of the board. Not all MDF is the same, some seems more brittle than others. Sorry to say I haven't found a solution, I even thought of buying one of the VERDI saws, but they are quite expensive and I doubt they are good for smaller pieces.
Roger
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I can't say that I'm always completely all that keen on MDF as a backing material, but I have a bench end guillotine, which cuts 2mm MDF if all else fails and this seems to do a good job of cutting MDF when the quality of the MDF is not always what it should be, However, it is often the case that while one side of the cut is perfect, the other side of the cut (the waste piece) usually needs a bit of cleaning up by cutting a thin strip off of that just cut edge.

I have not been using MDF for backing board for probably about 10 to 15 years and now mostly use one of the kraft based backing boards, or if I need something thicker and stiffer, I get a piece of 6mm MDF cut to size by my local hardware shop. Some time ago I stopped using MDF backing boards, because of the well known mold problems with MDF, (this is a county, with more that it's fair share of damp buildings) and the health concerns regarding cutting MDF on the premises.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
poliopete
Organisation: Annie Lou Fine Framing
Interests: Caring for my wife, Picture Framing and Natural History

Post by poliopete »

I'm with Mark on this one. :D

I seldom use MDF as a backing board these days because there are many and better products out there available from all our suppliers.
Peter.
technoframer
Organisation: Yorkshire
Interests: Picture Framing, Eating and Sleeping. Sometimes at the same time.

Post by technoframer »

Thanks for all your replies. Greatly appreciated.

Not your average framer - Thanks, the boards are stored in warm dry conditions, this aggravates the situation and I have to pre damp the boards a few days prior to cutting as this reduces the tearing during cutting. Will certainly have a go at pre heating the cut line prior to cutting though.

Prospero - Thank you, Two new out of the box sets of wheels, they are free running. On the wheels I have, tightening the mounting bolts only tightens the ball case against the backing plate, this has no effect on the wheel.

China shop - Yes, this is very much the conclusion I am coming to.

I am aware of other boards on the market but I need the weight, strength and rigidity of MDF for the purpose I need it for.

Thanks again.