Football scarf suggestions

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Football scarf suggestions

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

Firstly, I hope you are all well and managing during this time?

I have my first job that I have taken in quite a while. The client isn’t in a rush (good job as I am juggling childcare and home life) and left it to me to come up with the creative for it.

The scarf is a reproduction of an old local football club.

I’m and struggle a little with getting inspiration on how it could be displayed... a bit rusty now as my brain has been melted by Peppa Pig!

Has anyone got any examples, suggestions that they would be happy to share.

Thanks in advance.
Al
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Football scarf suggestions

Post by Not your average framer »

Have you asked the custoners how they want it displayed. Is it going to be displayed in full, or are you going to hide some of it to make it smaller to frame? However it is going to be displayed, making it look right is often more difficult, that just framing a football shirt, because being long and thin, with straight edges, the slight sag between places where it is sewn onto the backing, will very easily seen..

There are times, when the scarf will have the football cllub's badge included on the ends of the scarf and in such cases it is commonly expected that the ends would be displayed to be seen. I not saying that this is the best way of doing it, but for what it's worth, here is what I am thinking myself:-

I would avoid stitching the scarf at all, as there is too much likelyhood of it not looking quite right, instead I would fold it and create a deep box behind a mount, sit the folded scarft inside and cover it with a piece of anti-reflective U.V. blocking glass to hold the scarf in place and then put a mount on top to cover the whole thing.

Personally, I would make a feature of the edges of the box and allow those edges to be visible behind the mount, so that the scarf can be seen as being obviously folded and without and stitching. The scarf would look best if it was not a loose fit in the box and also the depth of box enclosing the scarf. does not want to be so tight, that the scarf is too tightly pressed against the museum glass, let the scarf live and look more natural.

Finally there will be another piece of glass, on top of the mount as well. I would wait a little while, just in case someone comes up with an even better item, who knows? I never framed a football club scarf before, so this is my first thoughts about this. Someone else, may have done plenty jobs like this before and a better way.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thank you Mark for your detailed response!

The client hasn’t given any requests. It’s actually for the local pub.

I was think about having some of the length but not all. The teams motif is on the end of the scarf and the rest is a strip so not necessary to show the full thing.

Thanks again
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Post by pramsay13 »

Here is one I did a few years ago:

The only thing I would change now is not to bother with a window mount, but to have a spacer between the glass and the backing board.

This one was sewed into place, from memory I think it only needed 5 points along the top, then maybe a few to get the arms in the right place.
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Looks good. Thanks for the tips too. This has helped to give me a few ideas.

Thanks again.