Framing large posters

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Framing large posters

Post by girlfromkent »

Hello all,

Advice please. I've got a large poster to frame. Nothing valuable but the customer is fond of it.

Customer wants a deep frame to keep it away from the wall which she says is prone to damp. (!)

She has chosen a thin moulding and doesn't want a mount.
What would you use to keep the art away from the glass? I'm thinking a wooden spacer may be too deep, canceling out the benefit of the deep moulding and making the space at the back smaller. I've read that none of you think much of econospace/framespace.

How would you proceed?
What would you choose as a spacer, and how would you fix the art in place?

Thanks in advance
Jag62
Organisation: ---
Interests: Biscuits

Re: Framing large posters

Post by Jag62 »

In my previous house I had a problem wall. It felt cold to the touch rather than damp, but any picture hung on it (or other walls in same room) would suffer from a variety of issues - backboard distortion, frame twist, hanger fixings pulling out, pictures slipping from mount, spotting, etc. No matter how the poster is framed / protected there will always be issues from ingress of moisture if it is hung on a damp wall.

Neil
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

I would make spacers from 3mm foamcore with mountboard edging it for neatness.

Also suggest using art bac aqua for backing board which has a waterproof membrane so at least the artwork has protection.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

How does a deep frame prevent the artwork from being damaged by damp? Sorry, but this is not the way to block the damp from damaging the poster, if the frame is touching the damp wall, whats to stop the damp traveling up inside the frame. There are lots of damp walls down here in Mid Devon, many old houses are centuries old and were originally heated by open fires and the hot air traveling up the chimneys drew and lot of the damp air up the chimney. In this modern era, people want central heating and radiators, but now houses are getting damp, because of the lack of air flow.

Dampness needs properly sealed framing to protect the contents of the frames, from damage. If the wall is damp, so is the air close to that wall. I use Linco aluminium barrier tape to seal the glass, artwork, mountboard and correx backing as a sandwhich and then put a water resistant backing board to cover all of this. Please note that if you dot provide bumpers at the back of the frame, the lack of air flow can still cause mold growth on the wall behind the picture frame and mold on the back of the frame as well.

If there are damp properties in you area, you need to learn how to seal you picture frames properly to prevent this. So that you can safegard your reputation and advise customers with damp walls accordingly.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
girlfromkent

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks all.

I have already advised the customer that if the wall is damp she will have problems whatever she hangs there.

The question was more about the spacer and fixing of the artwork.

I'm thinking mitred wooden spacers to match the white frame, as thin as poss to give the customer what she has asked for (deep frame), artbak aqua and bumpers.
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

As long as you have pointed out the issues of damp walls as you have, it is up to customer to deal with it, but it may be adding to invoice that although you have used art bak aqua, it is not recommended to do this.

Btw, if you don't have any thin enough wood for spacer, i happened to see this in my workshop
159100585681912386946675679604.jpg
I was just going to chuck in firewood pile, but i could cut to whatever the rebate size of your moulding. It is 4mm thick and is pine. It would take 2 mins to run through saw. I could cut just oversize and post in tube. Saves wasting it, and just pay postage which will be cheap i reckon.

Pm if any use.

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

How are you planning to mount the poster? You might need to give some thought to the poster being affected by the dampness and expanding in size as a result, with cockling of the poster a definite possibilty. How thick is the paper on which the poster is printed? I get asked to frame these modern posters from time to time that are printed on thin glossy paper and cockle like mad at the slightest excuse. I always refuse to frame these unless I can dry mount the poster, so that it will at least stay flat.

Posters can be something to take particular notice off, when quoting to do the Job. Normally to use 2mm glass on something over one metre square is supposed to be disallowed, even though there are those who still do it. 3mm glass is hugely more expensive, than two 2mm glass and is also getting quite a bit heavier, so the frame needs to be strong enough and big enough to take suitable size hangers to carry the weight involed. Also consider the the fact that the wastage from the glass and backing board, may be quite significant too.

Customers often expect poster size frames to be quite cheap, but experience is nearly always otherwise. Skinny mouldings are very often what the customer is wanting, but underpinning skinny mouldings does not always produce adequate strength at the corner joints. The problem does not always get much better with aluminium frames, as they can be a bit to flexible if the frame size is large enough. It is not uncommon for me to use much stronger and more solid backing boards in larger frames, when custoners specify skinny mouldings.

You should also be wary about using skinny mouldings on large frames, if the moulding has a skinny rebate width and is not really going to adequately support the glass. My local hardware shop sells and will cut to size 4mm perspex and since the price is quite reasonable, this can be a useful option in such cases
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

My philosophy with (large) posters is to abandon the traditional window mount concept. They aren't watercolours or
fine art prints.

My method of choice is to dry mount them if they are not valuable (or every likely to be). With more 'collectable' and
irreplaceable posters I would hinge them to a suitable board and overlay them with a wide slip. (30mm?). The trick is to
allow the slip to overlap the edge of the poster while leaving maybe 20mm between the edge and the perimeter of the
mounting board and 'jack up' the back of the slip with a 10mm strip of linen tape. This prevents the slip from crimping
the poster and restricting movement. Two hinges at the top with a few auxiliary loose hinges at the sides/bottom as necessary.

I like wide, flat frames for posters. To my mind it replicates the location where a poster would originally be posted - a wall. :wink:
It also does the same job visually as a window mount. :D
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
girlfromkent

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks for the offer Nick. I've found a spacer that I think will work now.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Rose and Hollis sell paper wrapped spacers in white, ivory and black in various sizes.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer

I like peters method with the spacer and the linen tape, I expected to have used this method by now, but have not had a collectable posters. For large posters, I like ash frames, because long length of ash stay straight. Ash is the traditional wood for making long bow arrows,, because it will usuayly stay straight much more that just about any other wood.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer