Framing large print

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Chaucers
Organisation: Chaucers framing & restoration
Interests: Framing

Framing large print

Post by Chaucers »

I am framing a large print - 1570mm x 1045 and want to use a smooth black frame big enough to support acrylic glazing but do want any twisting at the corners due to the size. Can any one recommend a size of frame - LarsonJuhl, Wessex ???
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Re: Framing large print

Post by Justintime »

I would definitely be using a subframe on something this size, Rose and Hollis do various sizes. That will give you the strength on most mouldings as long as the moulding is deep enough to accommodate the subframe as well.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Stopping twisting on a frame as large as that it not that easy. Unfortunately twisting is also a relative thing as well, everything is capable of being flexed to some degree depending on how much force is applied and there are limits regarding what is either sensible, or reasonable as well, in terms of what makes sense to do.

I would suggest that do frame the print in a black deep moulding, which is deep enough to accommodate a really solid sub frame made out of fairly substantial pine lengths of wood and faced with perhaps 12mm plywood to create a flat surface behind the print. The plywood needs a suitable layer of something reasonably conservation friendly between it's self and the print to avoid any acid present in the plywood affecting the print. For me this would probably be a thin single sheet of acrylic.

You do need to be aware that the potential for expansion, or contraction of a large print like that will need to be allowed for within the internal size of the frame. Prospero's often mentioned method of spacing and silp away from the rear surface use a strip of fabric tape slightly thicker than the thickness of the print is quite a easy and logical way to do this. I would hinge the print from the top and allow quite a big margin for expansion ann contraction on the other sides behind the slip.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

raisedslipmat001.jpg
raisedslipmat001.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 4015 times
This is my highly technical diagram of my raised slip method. :lol:

The 'slip' could equally be a narrow mount, but to me cutting a huge mount with a 30mm margin is a bit barmy. If not to say floppy.
Commercially available slips are usually gold, but you can buy plain wood ones and paint them.

It allows a large poster to be framed without a wide mount but still gives it 'wiggle room'. Hinged at the top as per usual, with
supplementary loose hinges as necessary to prevent it flopping about. This can save a lot of weight in a glass acreage.

People often get the idea that close-framing with direct glass contact will keep a big sheet flat.
In reality this is a certain way to provoke rippling.
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Yes, I agree that space between the glazing and the print is very helpful and the slip is also the way I would go too! Rose and Hollis slip moulding A231 is a good choice, it's nearly 3 inches wide and will look the business, if you don't mind painting it.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
theframer
Organisation: Icon Framers Ltd
Interests: football,fishing

Post by theframer »

Hi Prospero how would you do the supplementary loose hinges on this?

Thanks
Dave
prospero

Post by prospero »

Like a normal T-hinge but with the bar on the T not too close to the poster.
theframer

Post by theframer »

Thanks Prospero
Thats a great help :clap: :clap:
theframer

Post by theframer »

Sorry forgot to ask would you put the t-hinges on the bottom as well?
prospero

Post by prospero »

It depends on the size and thickness of the print. Generally the less hinges the better. :roll:

Another way is to make a 'cylinder' of hinging tape - sticky side out. Like this -> O place it like a piece of double-stick tape.
It has the capacity the 'roll' against a force from one direction. Best placed in centre of an edge.
Sometimes however you try to mitigate expansion in paper it will go wavy anyway. :cry:

With old posters it's nigh-on impossible to get them absolutely flat without dry-mounting. Especially if they've been rolled up.
You have to be a bit philosophical and accept the waves and creases. That how it would looked when it was a poster on a wall.
theframer

Post by theframer »

Thanks again Prospero :clap: