Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Fixing spacers

Post by +Rafe+ »

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well...

Hoping for some opinions regarding spacers. Specifically wooden spacers.

I have historically cut these on the morso, attached using the ‘pinwheel’ method using titebond wood glue, clamping in place and leaving for 6hrs ish then fixing to the frame.

I have read various ways and it’s possible that I am fixing these to the frame too securely (if such a thing), if one is to consider an instant where the frame might need new glass, if the glass where ever to get smashed.

When I have tested on scrap off-cuts, attempting to remove the spacer from the frame, has more often than not left a mess damaging the frame.

Would be super keen to know how folk fix there spacers. I am using r&h f2/3 spacers, in this case, in a frame that is 795 x 590.

Thanks as always for your input.
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Re: Fixing spacers

Post by Steve N »

With wooden spacers, papered covered or not (painted), I cut on a Morso, and join with 3mm underpins, top and bottom, then depending on how long, I will use a few bits of double sided tape , about 10mm wide, stuck at intervals along the spacer, then a few dabs of woodglue either side of the double sided tape, pop the spacer in the frame, press it against the inside of the frame, the double sided tape will hold the spacer in place until the glue sets. If you need to take out the spacer in future (reglaze), then just use a flat bladed screwdriver between the spacer and frame to break the glue, then you can take the spacer out and replace again when ready.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

Same as Steve, but with 5mm wedges one side.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Post by +Rafe+ »

Thanks Steve, Justin. I will practice pinning on some scrap.

Thanks for your time / input.
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I don't normally glue the spacers in place, they are just a sliding fit into the frame and can easily be removed if replacing the glass becoming necessary. I also join the corners of the slip frame on the underoinner. I ofter make up slips and spacer out of off overs from the scrap bin. Even normal picture frame mouldings can make up quite attractive spacer which look great, if there is not going to be a mount in front of the spacer.

There are times when a spacer looks good, when it has a bit of shape. I regularly use cut down mouldings from the scrap bin for spacers in ready made box frames. The locals who buy a few of these on a regular basis, seem to like them. It's cheap and cheerful as well and softer woods like Obeche and Pine trim down to a suitable thickness on the band saw very easily.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer