Postcard viewed from both sides

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Jonathan
Organisation: Letters & Frames
Interests: Planning to add picture farming to my portfolio of creative offerings.
Interested in history - buildings, landscape, transport.
Lettering - Typography, Letter forms, Calligraphy

Postcard viewed from both sides

Post by Jonathan »

A long standing customer has asked me it frame a Postcard, so the front is seen when on the wall, but the frame can be taken off the wall so the back of the card can be seen. They do not expect to hang the frame either way round (yet!).

My question is - best way to frame?
Two mounts sandwiching the card and glass both sides. Or a double sided mount or two stuck together with a square cut aperture so the card wedges in and glass both sides. I want to cover as little as possible of the card.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? Much appreciated.

Jon
Picture Framers and Calligraphers
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://lettersandframes.uk/
pramsay13
Organisation: Picture Framer (ML)
Interests: picture framing (no, really!) sport, music

Re: Postcard viewed from both sides

Post by pramsay13 »

Either of your methods would work, only issue between 2 pieces of glass is how to fix it to stop it sliding down.

I've done it before with 2 pieces of plastic glass, so the static held it in place (it was a papercut item) although a postcard might be heavier and slip down.

If it's between 2 pieces of mountboard you will still need glass either side to be able to see the item.

Only issue I have is getting a nice finish on the back, as it is normally just points and tape as normal which means it doesn't look as nice, but if it's just to hang on the wall and be lifted off occasionally that shouldn't be a big issue.
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I've seen a piece framed front and back. Two frames, with recessed magnets in the backs, joining them together.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

I normally use two mounts to sandwich the image, glaas on the front, plastic on the back, (so that when the cutomer hang it from the nail in the wall, if they are heavy handed the nail will not break the glass), if using a single frame, I usually use bendy tabs to hold everythng in the frame, then just tape up as usual, put hangers in the frame, which I always make sure the frame that will be used is big enough to take hangers in it.
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/