screws for small hinges.

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

screws for small hinges.

Post by Not your average framer »

I am useless at screwing in small slotted head countersunk screws with with a screwdriver. I was not much good at it before I had my stroke and after my stroke it's almost impossible. The hinges need a number 2 size screw and as far as I know pozi headed countersunk screws of that size don't exist anyway. So I'm looking for suggestions.

One possible course of action might be to drill out the hinges and use larger pozi head countersunk screws, but you can't usually get smalll countersunk pozi head screws as brass plated and as the hinges are brass, silvery screw heads would just look wrong. Also drilling out the screw holes in such small hinges is going to be quite difficult and time consuming, so not great either.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: screws for small hinges.

Post by JFeig »

Mark, do you have access to Amazon for internet shopping. They have a lot of choices for #2 phillips screws.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Thanks Jerome,

I have a look.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Thanks Jerome,

I think that will do nicely.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

I have a long thin scratch awl, which should be quite helpful for this job, it's round with a very thin pointed end and long taper to the point. I like it for putting in long screws, as it pushes the fibres of the wood away from the pilot hole and does not require much force to make the pilot hole. This effectively compressed the fibres in the wood to increase the density of the fibres around the hole and giving the wood screw somethibg much better for the screw to hold in.

Smaller screws are far to easy to strip the wood in the hole out of the moulding. Also the long taper to the pilot hole tends to be very helpful when starting off the screw in the hole and hold the screw upright in the holes, ready for the screwdriver. I used to like magnetic screwdrivers at one time, but they are more of a hinderance, since my stroke. Electric screwdrivers are particularly useless on such small screws, because it's far too easy to over tighten such small screws, when you can not feel how tight the screw is getting in the wood.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
fusionframer
Organisation: Fusion Picture Framing
Interests: framing

Post by fusionframer »

If doing a few, get the hinge self centering drill bits.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hinge-drill- ... gKPGvD_BwE

I use them and it means screws go in straight too as well as in the centre of hole.

This is my small one for small hinges
15929270349381057091344370500351.jpg
Saves a lot of hinge related headaches!

Nick
www.fusionframing.co.uk

Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
Not your average framer

Thanks Nick,

I hadn't thought about that. great idea.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer