Looking for a glass/mount cutter .

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Sunday
Organisation: Sunday framing
Interests: Boating, and woodworking.

Looking for a glass/mount cutter .

Post by Sunday »

What type of glass / mount cutter should I look for? I just missed out on a keen cut 4000 on eBay should I look for a different brand?
Any advice would be great!
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Looking for a glass/mount cutter .

Post by Not your average framer »

The Keencut system 4000 is an old machine, but it is something that is built to last. Keencut no longer supply the earler glass cutting wheel mounted in the white plastic holder, but you can still get them from a company in southampton, so no worries. I had a Keencut system 4000 for almost 20 years and it has plenty of adjustment to allow to bearing wear and things like that.

They are still a really good machine! I only got rid of mine, because I had always wanted a Fletcher Teery 3100 and was available secondhand at the time. A secondhand Keencut System 4000 won't usually set you back as much money as later Keencut machines, or the Fletcher Terry and The System 4444 still holds it's value as it is well reckonised as a reliable machine.

If you are wanting value for money, the System 4000 is likely to get you a great machine at a reasonable secondhand price.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

I can recommend the Fletcher 3100. I don't think there's much in it between a Fletcher and a Keencut 5000.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Just be aware that you'll have to reset it up to cut square when you get it. There are lots of tricks to do this, I think most are on youtube.
As long as it hasn't been hammered or dropped on its head, it should be fine. If you go for the Fletcher, make sure to remove the right hand arm for transport. Be aware when collecting, that the size without the right hand arm is approx 1.3m x 2m!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Usually the Fletcher Terry £100 sells for more secondhand that any of the Keencut machine sell for secondhand. Those who are in the know, are aware of the very noticable differences between the Fletcher Terry and all other makes of board and glass cutters. I switched from having a Keencut System 4000 to the Fletcher Terry 3100 and ther is no comparison. The Fletcher Terry is well worth the extra money. It is easier to operate, very free movement of the cutting head and largely maintaince free.

There was a time when both of my mount cutters were Keencut modals as well, but I now have obtained a Fletcher Terry 1100 circle and oval cutter, which is simply amazing, compared to my old Keencut Oval 6 and I waiting to change over to a Fletcher Terry 2100 in the not too distant future. My old Ultimat gold is going to be reassigned for use in my spare room at home, when I get the Fletcher Terry. Evenually, I would like a second Fletch Terry to replace the one at home.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Yes I agree Mark , I certainly chose Fletcher for its more simple design in terms of the cutting heads over the rotating head of the Keencut.
Interesting that you want to changeyour Keencut mountcutter. I have the Fletcher 2100. When I had a go on the latest Keencut last year, I loved the self squaring back fence it had. Mine cannot be relied upon and I ruler check the far end every time on larger mounts. I also really liked the micro adjustments on the stops, although I struggled with the pushing the blade away at the start off point, I'm told you quickly get the hang of it. That self adjusting back fence did make me question my choice!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

I don't have any need to use the rear squaring arm, instead I cut everything square on the Fletcher Terry 3100 flat material cutter for simplicity and speed.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime

Post by Justintime »

Umm...ok no, then I meant the front fence! :giggle:
Justin George GCF(APF)
Not your average framer

You mean the margin guide!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer