Original posters

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
+Rafe+
Organisation: Photographer/Framer
Interests: Theatre, film, the arts, a bit of this, a bit of that

Original posters

Post by +Rafe+ »

Bit left field, can anyone point me in the right direction of where I can purchase original theatre or film posters.

I have done a google search and various places pop up but aware one needs to be careful...

It’s for me rather than a client, a bit of home work / studio example.

Many thanks in advance.
+Rafe+

Re: Original posters

Post by +Rafe+ »

Just as a way of an update - I sourced a U.K Quad 30 x 40 inches original film poster from https://www.originalposter.co.uk

Now to research framing it correctly.

I am also likely to get it linen backed by a conservator too, its a 'Grade A' poster that has been folded and I am keen to flatten it our as best as possible and to preserve it.

Let the learning begin!

Have a good week
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

My one man post continues -

I thought it a good idea to update this thread, this forum has been so good to me and maybe this aides someone else in the future ...

I had the poster lined backed to take the fold lines out. I know that this is a separate debate on this practice but for me, in this instance as the client, I wanted the fold lines removed. I used https://www.mpag.co.uk as recommend on this forum in an older thread. I am delighted, the service was brilliant.

This is a poster that I bought for me and as a project to develop my skills. I have had a fair few request for large prints (A1 +) and a few film posters that had been linen backed. So far I have politely passed. Now back to work after a long period of lock-down its time to step up and keep developing / learning.

The poster now has a 25mm linen excess making it 1016mm x 787mm.

Framing plan -
I had thought to T-hing on the top side to 5mm conservation foam board, however due to size of the slip I am looking to use, now I am likely to pass the hinges through a slit in the foam board, maybe up to six hinges along the top edge only
  • Question - I am not sure of the correct choice of hinging material to adhere to the linen backing? I was thinking of a Japanese tissue and wheat starch, but passing tissue paper through a slit seems fiddly - any thoughts please?
Then use Lions L1691 slip up to the edge of the poster, so only covering the linen back but not sure if this advisable. I am going to take Prospero's guide (search for his 'slip method') to add a strip of linen tape (approx 20mm wide in this case) to the back of the slip nearest the rebate edge, creating a slight lip to allow the poster to have a bit of movement.

Framed using L2116 as this will be a big'un

Glazing, I'm not sure between Tru Vu Museum or Artglass AR92 3mm, if 3mm is needed?

This is my proposed method, keen for any input / experience.

As always, thanks in advance!

"It’s pronounced ‘Fronkensteen"... :D
Attachments
IMG_3094.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

One particular advantage with Prospero's method of using a slip with a little spacing behind it, is that it is not always necessaru to hinge the poster. This si a sensible way of presenting the poster and potentially avoiding attaching anything to the poster. Assuming that the rear of the slip is adequately coated with something that will block and acidic contamination from the wood of the slip and assuming the use of adequate conservation matterials behind the poster, then this is a potential conservation framing solution to framing this poster.

There may be circumstances where some dgree of hinging may be required to restrain the poster a little more if the possible expansion and contraction of the poster is likely to otherwise cause problems with the poster moving excessively and looking off cetre as a result, but this is less likely to be a problem with most average sized posters. Jowever when you are framing anything on paper that's really large, factors like this should be considered and taken into account.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

With a 25mm linen excess, im wondering whether t-pinning it onto 5mm foamboard may be an easy solution? Like the hedgehog method id want to make sure that the sides and bottom had the tiniest bit of slack to allow for expansion and contraction of the paper.
3mm glass is advised for pieces 1m2 and over, or long thin pieces. It adds a lit more weight. I think it depends on where and how its being hung and the type/strength of moulding used too.
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
+Rafe+

Post by +Rafe+ »

Ah thats a good idea to pin to the foam board Justin. I had thought about using the tag gun in a similar method.

Thanks for the input
Carol55
Organisation: home framing
Interests: gardening, reading, museums

Post by Carol55 »

Thank you +Rafe+ for this post. Its been intresting reading so far... Great film too! I cant offer too much input but Prospero's method seems like a great idea.

I don't know of the best hinging tape to use on the linen back either, maybe someone else can offer their thoughts. I've not experienced a project like this before.

Not sure I would stick all sides down, personally I would just stick the top edge and leave the sides and bottom loose. The slip is going to hold it in place and I would suspect that the poster now is fairly heavy and stiff from the new backing?

Looks smashing so far, again thank you for the details. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

With kindness
Carol