Keencut System 4000 Cutting Head

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Tosh
Organisation: LAF
Interests: Photography

Keencut System 4000 Cutting Head

Post by Tosh »

Hi everyone, got a huge problem - just returned to work and a massive backlog, and the cutting head on my aged System 4000 is fouling and won't cut board. Does anyone have any advice on how best to set this up to avoid this - can't seem to get it just right...

And is it possible to refurb or replace this? Keencut aren't answering the phones at the moment...

Thanks!
Chris_h
Organisation: www.TheUKLandscape.com
Interests: Photography, Football, F1, printing & framing www.Photographyprinting.co.uk

Re: Keencut System 4000 Cutting Head

Post by Chris_h »

Is it the MDF head that is the problem?
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

Yes, I've tried setting it up with different amounts of 'play' from minimal to a 'little bit' and it doesn't seem to help - it just jams up...
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

The problem is not always that easy to dianose. It could be the cutting wheels, or it could be the MDF, but it not that unlikely to be a combination of both. Like it,or not MDF absorbs moisture out of the air, while it's just sitting there, which does not help very much, if you wheels are starting to lose their edge a little. Whatever it is, it's no big deal, just a simple step by step approach.

First step cheack out the wheels. They should be nice and free running, with the minium of side play and not all crunchy all gritty as they turn. if they feel lumpy and gritty, take them apart and find out why and if o.k., thoughly clean and re-grease the bearings and re-assemble them in to the machine.

Second step. Check the siding carriage for nice smooth easy running up and down the vertical slide way. There are two sliding mechanisms on the System 4000. One is a circular bearing which runs inside the left hand side of the vertical main bar and the other is a nylon block, which runs in a v-groove on the right hand side of the vertical main bar. Clean out all the fluff and much, as best you can and re-lubricated the slididing surfaces both side with a silicone lubricant spray. Work the sliding carriage up and down a few times and check that there is no noticible side play. If necessary re-adjust the side play with the two screws by the nylon block on the right hand side.

The checking that the movement and adjustment of the wheels and the sliding carriage is to make sure that the wheels are trying to cut the MDF, along the intended axis and not trying to deviate of track into the MDF at a slight angle causing a jam.

Third Step. Check out the MDF, for any possible issues. If the MDF has absorbed excessive moisture, sitting idle during the lock down, it can cause the MDF to swell a little. Check that the thickness of the MDF is still within the cutting spec for the machine. As long as the thickness of the MDF is within spec, don't worry about the MDF.

Hopefully, after checking all this you should be back in action! When did you last have the machine serviced? It might be time to get it serviced and fully set up to make it run as it should. It is an unfortunate fact that these machines take a hammering and things can go a little awry after lots of use and very little maintenance. I used to have a System 4000, but I recently upgraded to a Fletcher Terry 3100. Some system 4000's are getting a bit old in the tooth now and sooner or later, you have to think about if it time to maybe find something a bit newer.

I'm not saying that you can't still keep the System 4000 going for a lot longer, but the System 4000 is a lot harder work to use that the Fletcher Terry 3100. I'm very glad that I switched to my current machine. A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Could be the cuuting wheels, which can be replaced, I think D & J Simons sell them, ring them and ask to speak to Joe in the machinery dept. also what goes on them is the nylon bushes, which can be adjusted, don't use the big white knob, there are little grub screws, screw them in one at a time, so they hold the head in place, then slacken off so the head starts to move , then repeat with the other grubscrews, while you are at it, do the same with the lower cutting head
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Steve,

That interesting, I'm not sure that my very early System 4,000 was quire the same as yours. I know that the glass wheel changed after early machines like mine, but the grub screws don't ring any bells with me!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

Steve, thanks for the pointer - I spoke to Joe last night, he was very helpful, and a pair of new cutting wheels are on their way over to me!

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)