Advice please

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Teresa
Organisation: The Frameworks
Interests: good food, good wine, good friends, travel, live music,

Advice please

Post by Teresa »

A customer wants to frame a piece 250cm x106cm. Would it need to be 3mm glass. Would it be too heavy. or should I suggest acrylic. if so which one.
Thank you 😊
Abacus
Organisation: Abacus Picture Framing and Gallery
Interests: Picture Framing, Furniture making.

Re: Advice please

Post by Abacus »

The glass on its own will weigh over 40lbs acrylic all the way.
prospero

Post by prospero »

Problem is, acrylic that size would need to be at least 6mm, which would make it heavy - maybe as heavy as 3mm glass. :roll: :|
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Abacus wrote: Sat 11 Jul, 2020 5:54 pm The glass on its own will weigh over 40lbs acrylic all the way.
That's about half the weight of my greyhound, so bloody heavy :giggle:
What you will have to think about is just trying to turn it over to clean the glass, some one emailed me this week for a quote for a 140cm x 200cm picture, I declined as it's bigger than my bench :Slap: and because I'm on my own, I would not be able life it when finished
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

My shop's standard was anything that was over 40" x 60" (approx. 100 c x 150 cm) was automatically acrylic (Plexiglass® or Perspex®).

This decision was based on safety for both my staff and the end user. Weight was not a factor.

My main shop area had 2 48" x 96" tables and we had many jobs over the years that required more than one person for handle the frame package. A quick tip for handling large frames is to place a carpet r eminent along the edge of the table and pivot the frame over the edge, onto the floor. We would then rotate the frame (front to back) and then lift the frame back onto the table using the edge of the table as a fulcrum. You use mechanical leverage :yes: vs your back do the lifting.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Steve N
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

JFeig wrote
"
My main shop area had 2 48" x 96" tables and we had many jobs over the years that required more than one person for handle the frame package. A quick tip for handling large frames is to place a carpet r eminent along the edge of the table and pivot the frame over the edge, onto the floor. We would then rotate the frame (front to back) and then lift the frame back onto the table using the edge of the table as a fulcrum. You use mechanical leverage :yes: vs your back do the lifting."

That's how I do it now, always have done Jerome, but if you are a 'one man business' there is a limit to what can be achieved my yourself
Steve CEO GCF (020)

JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Post by JFeig »

In the day, I could handle a 40" x 60" frame job single handed using the edge fulcrum method. Today, due to back issues, not so much.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I am thinking that the frame will need to be strong enough to support the glass, to an adequate level as well. Deciding how strong is strong enough, is either a matter of experience, or educated guesswork. A really solid sub frame with several cross member and well braced corners might be a good start. Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not just the weight of the glass, or perspex, that going to be heavy, but it will be probably at least as much for the frame as well. Prospero has provided an excellent post showing quite an intelegent way of making large sub frames. This not going to be an easy job to be doing if you are a work force of only one. Working out a price for a job of this size is not easy either. Getting the quoted price wrong on the low side, will not only mean losing money, but also doing all the hard work for nothing as well.

I hope that you have thought long and hard about how you are going to make an adequate frame of that size! Just joining the corners on an underpiiner might not be strong enough. Maybe some of those hidden bolt together joiners, which are used to join sections of kitchen work tops might be worth considering. If you are going down that route, you will need to make sure that the size of the moulding are large enough to accommodate such fittings. Personally, it's not a job that I would want. Not only do I have a workshop of limited size, but the job would probably be more than I would want to take on. While you are considering how to price a job like this, don't forget to take into account, how much money you could be making doing the usual workload of smaller jobs and how many other customers might not be wanting to wait, while you finish this job.

Think about the consequences of what it means if you take it on, in terms of loss of income while it is blocking up you workshop, but also the consequences of what it means if you don't take it on. I took on framing something very large, on the understand that the customer would come and collect it and pay for it the moment it was finished, but he kept me waiting about six weeks, during which time I had no where to store the frame, so that I could use the workshop to do other jobs. I lost plenty of other work, during that six weeks. Not much fun!
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
cleaver
Organisation: Satriale's Pork Store
Interests: .

Post by cleaver »

Steve N wrote: Sun 12 Jul, 2020 11:16 am That's about half the weight of my greyhound, so bloody heavy :giggle:
What you will have to think about is just trying to turn it over to clean the glass, some one emailed me this week for a quote for a 140cm x 200cm picture, I declined as it's bigger than my bench :Slap: and because I'm on my own, I would not be able life it when finished
I believe that's a bit of long-forgotten Cockney slang, Steve.....like a 'Pony' or a 'Monkey'. As in "It'll cost you half a greyhound, plus VAT".
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

:giggle: :giggle: :giggle:
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N

Post by Steve N »

cleaver wrote: Sun 12 Jul, 2020 2:43 pm I believe that's a bit of long-forgotten Cockney slang, Steve.....like a 'Pony' or a 'Monkey'. As in "It'll cost you half a greyhound, plus VAT".
:clap: :clap: :lol:
Steve CEO GCF (020)