How much should I charge for gilding/my time on bespoke frames?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
sarahthegilder6
Organisation: sarahgoldleafgilder
Interests: Gilding, art, painting, sculpting, restoration

How much should I charge for gilding/my time on bespoke frames?

Post by sarahthegilder6 »

After having worked in a high end bespoke framing workshop for 5 years producing fine frames for the West End I have now found myself redundant from the Covid situation.
However I have had an opportunity to work self employed as a Gilder/Finisher for another bespoke framing firm.
I produce the finest works and am a very skilled Gilder and craftsperson always ensuring the highest standards with my work.
The firm will make the raw wood carcass and it will be down to myself to Gesso, Bole, Water Gild and apply finishes to the frames all of which I am confident in doing.
Having worked for someone else I am now struggling to produce a price list for my work/time.

The frames is question are pretty standard modern black floating box with 12ct top rail.
I know I still have to account for buying in all my materials yet as I am just starting up on my own.

Please if anyone on here could give my an idea of what I should be charging it would be much appreciated!
sarahthegilder6
Organisation: sarahgoldleafgilder
Interests: Gilding, art, painting, sculpting, restoration

Re: How much should I charge for gilding/my time on bespoke frames?

Post by sarahthegilder6 »

This is the frames I need to price by 1m.
Attachments
32424873-5BAC-4610-8BAC-71E5F5E25F5E.jpeg
A6BF2B7F-329F-457B-8950-16392AB136DE.jpeg
A1A6AC34-0D24-488C-8A4E-3F1A283D208B.jpeg
vintage frames
Organisation: https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
Interests: Making picture frames

Re: How much should I charge for gilding/my time on bespoke frames?

Post by vintage frames »

Hi Sarah.
Those are nice frames and very skillful gilding. If the new frame shop can keep you busy and you get to use their workshops, then all you need to do is double up on your materials costs and add an hourly rate at which you can live comfortably. You already have your previous salary as a guide.
There might be a problem if the new framers only need gilded work on an occasional basis, then you might need to charge a higher rate to cover all the down time. I would be thinking about having some fliers printed to advertise your services as an experienced gilder, and distributing them around every frame shop and antique restoration co. in London.
You've acquired all the skills and techniques involved with gilding, now you have to be creative and think up some original styles of mouldings that will have frame shops and galleries wanting to call on you.
You have one really good advantage in that you live near London. That's where some of the most original and vibrant ideas are formed. Schlep 'round as many West End galleries as you can find open, look at the framing and see where the gaps in the market lie.
Affordable Gilding Course for Professional Framers-https://www.dermotmcardle.co.uk/
https://www.instagram.com/dermotmcardle/