Glass

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Justanotherpassword
Organisation: Panache Gallery
Interests: Picture framing

Glass

Post by Justanotherpassword »

Might be a well trodden issue but have huge amounts of 2mm float glass of various sizes that I have accumulated that unlikely ever to use (in small volumes perhaps).

Other than dispose of any ideas.
Rainbow
Organisation: Picture sales and framing
Interests: varied

Re: Glass

Post by Rainbow »

1. Offer it to neighbouring framers at a good price.

2. Get in touch with local art clubs to see if artists who do their own framing want to buy it.

3. Offer it on Gumtree.

4. Fill your garden with cold frames and set up a sideline as a market gardener :D
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I find really small off cuts of glass are particularly hard to find any realistic use for, so these go straight in the dumpster and I make up various ready made frames using some of the other bits from time to time. I sell a few ready made frames from time to time, but it's not a real big deal.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Ed209
Organisation: Birchington Framing Centre
Interests: Guitar, woodwork, cycling Singing

Post by Ed209 »

One of my customers makes glass ornaments that we sell in our gallery on commission. She has all my glass offcuts that she melts down in her kiln.
I did wonder if when I have a bonfire in a old oil drum to burn moulding offcuts if the glass pieces would melt for safe disposable if necessary.
Trinity
Organisation: Trinity Framing
Interests: Classic Tractors, Honda Blackbird, Eunos, anything with an engine

Post by Trinity »

Bite the bullet and bin the majority of offcuts, keeping perhaps a few of the larger ones. Otherwise like me you end up with a large amount of useless stuff to get rid of.
Do not be afraid of strangers, for thereby many have entertained angels unawares.
Carol55
Organisation: home framing
Interests: gardening, reading, museums

Post by Carol55 »

Hi, we only keep off-cuts that are above 250mm x 250mm. Everything else is recycled. We then do a review and clear out every three months. We have to ruthless because the size of our shop.
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Useless small off cuts of glass, don't become any more usefull, by storing them up just in case you have a use for them. I cut them up into standard sizes for ready made frames and have a few of various sizes in a storage rack ready to use and everything else goes in the dumpster. Wastage is already costed for in my pricing and there's no point in keeping lots of potentially un-useable off cuts.

That's what the dumpster is for! Life is too short to spend time organising and storing all these un-usable and worthless offcuts. Put them in the bin and forget about them.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Steve N
Organisation: Frontier Picture Frames ltd
Interests: Walking our retired Greyhound,art, falling asleep on sofa in front of the telly

Post by Steve N »

Trinity wrote: Tue 01 Sep, 2020 5:48 am Bite the bullet and bin the majority of offcuts, keeping perhaps a few of the larger ones. Otherwise like me you end up with a large amount of useless stuff to get rid of.
Exactly, a case of 'Do as I say, not as I do' :worried: , I have a lot to get rid of, it's going in the bin, so much each week
Steve CEO GCF (020)
Believed in Time Travel since 2035

Proud to sell Ready Made Frames
http://www.frontierpictureframes.com
http://www.designerpicturemounts.com/
Not your average framer

I suppose you could always make paper weights and coasters from sticking square bits of glass together with silicone with a picture stuck in the middle if you must find a use for these unwanted glass scraps, but Personally I think that the dumpster is the easiest solution. When you work out how much these small scraps of glass are worth, there really is not much point in trying to hang on to small scraps of glass. What are you going to use it for that has any saleable value? It's largely worthless waste and the best place for it is in the dumpster!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
prospero

Post by prospero »

I very much agree with Mark. :)

After nearly 40 years in the business I can say that if you chuck all your small bits you will not miss them.

There is always that niggling doubt in the back of your mind that someone will come along and want 1000 little
frames and if they did your material costs would be Zero. :P It isn't going to happen. :lol:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer

The expectation is that little frames will be cheap, usually too cheap to make it worth making anything to use up all those tiny bits of glass! Most customers like nice items that look quality, most other stuff attracts zero interest. You don't really need any of us to tell you this, it should be obvious!

The cheap bottom end of the market stuff, dos not make enough money to pay for the matterials, or the labour to makes it. How many shops do you see displaying small cheap items? I would say virtually none.

If there's no money in making up small frames to use up all those little bits of glass, surely there is no point in keeping all those small bits of glass whatsoever, put those small bits of waste glass straight into the waste bin and move on!
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
Not your average framer

Small bits of glass can be used for mixing two part fillers on and for pressing filler into holes where a straight edge on the glass can be helpful, when trying to fill the hole level with the surrounding flat surface and after use you can throw alway the contaminated small piece of glass.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer