Glazing on oversized items

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
Chris_Beagle
Organisation: The Beagle Framing Studio
Interests: Framing!

Glazing on oversized items

Post by Chris_Beagle »

Hi all,

I know this has topic been discussed at length, but I'm keen to know everyone's thoughts about the appropriate glazing to use on a large box frame (say, 1 metre x 1 metre).

The frame will be very solid, and the glazing will be raised off the artwork by a couple of centimetres using spacers. Which of the following would you consider using for this job:

*2mm float glass
*3mm float glass
*laminated float glass
*acrylic

Many thanks in advance!
Timh
Organisation: kingswood frames and mirors
Interests: framing and framing history manufacture of mouldings and decorated frames

Re: Glazing on oversized items

Post by Timh »

Hi Chris
2mm or 3mm would be fine
depends where it's hanging and also the environment , i.e. are there kids about or anything that potentially could break the glass which could be harmful if a piece came out broken

if there is no risk then either of the above would be ok- may be a bit heavier with 3mm though

I have been using 3mm Acrigaurd from Centrado which is a great acrylic- scratch resistant and 99% UV filtered too
you can get it cut to size to save on waste
prospero

Post by prospero »

2mm glass is a lot tougher than you'd think. I would be quite happy to use 1m square piece.

3mm is going to add more weight, which can actually work against it and it is just as likely to break as 2mm.

Acrylic won't shatter like glass, but i would only use it were there were safety concerns. For that size, where it's
not supported from behind I would contemplate anything thinner than 6mm. Which would be heavier than glass and
not cheap.

One thing to watch: The glass should be cleanly cut with no nicks on the edge. And the frame rebate should be smooth
with not little bumps that could create stress points. :roll:
Watch Out. There's A Humphrey About
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Post by Not your average framer »

I am not a big fan of acrylic and alway prefer to use glass, unless there is an overriding reason. I would be more than happy to use 2mm glass if the situation did not suggest any specific risks, or concerns. I always smooth down the cut edges on all sizes of glass, as it is not just good practice and avoids shaving off little particules when placing the glass into the frame, but smooth edges considerably reduce the risk of the glass later braking, when subjected to shock.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
Chris_Beagle
Organisation: The Beagle Framing Studio
Interests: Framing!

Post by Chris_Beagle »

Thank you for all the replies- much appreciated! :D