Aluminium frames - sealing?

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Aluminium frames - sealing?

Post by girlfromkent »

Hi all

I have some 1970s alu frames in for a spruce up, new glass and mount but the frames have sentimental value so being kept.

The prints have been acid damaged by bad framing materials but the customer has decided not to have them treated, just get them in acid free set up.

I want to do the best conservation job of the reframe that I can so I will be doing full acid free mount package, but I've never done alu frames before. If I just put the mount package in and use the tensioners, is the frame not still subject to insects and moisture? How, if at all, can I seal the back of the frame?

Thanks
Megan
JFeig
Organisation: minoxy, LLC
Interests: non-fiction knowledge

Re: Aluminium frames - sealing?

Post by JFeig »

Aluminum frames were not made to be sealed air tight.
Jerome Feig CPF®
http://www.minoxy.com
Justintime
Organisation: George The Framer LLP
Interests: Gardening, design, electronic music, good food and beverages.

Post by Justintime »

You can sandwich the work i.e. place the glass on top of the mounted piece and use a 25mm gummed white(acid free) tape, cut 10mm longer than the glass. Over the edge of the table, lay the tape a few mm onto the glass and secure around the back of the undermount, folding the corners over n themselves. I don't include the backboard in the sandwich but add it after and carefully rebuild the alu frame around it being careful not to tear the gummed tape on the frame. That should do it!
Justin George GCF(APF)
Insta: georgetheframer
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

A taped frame package (taping the glass, art and backing into one monolithic item) is a very effective dust seal; however, not a good seal regarding humidity. Most tapes are porous to water vapor even polyester (Mylar).

With 50 years of acid damage, do you want to seal all that acid into a package? Hugh Phibbs specifically warns against doing this.
Jerome Feig CPF®
girlfromkent

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks all.

I did consider sealing the package but it's not a practice I generally use, and the idea was making me nervous as I would be sealing in already damaged goods.

Jerome what would you suggest, just frame up as i normally would, with acid free undermount and conservation art bak?

Megan
JFeig

Post by JFeig »

Other than having the work deacidified and the backer board removed, frame it as is. We are not conservators.

Even an anoxic microclimate enclosure needs the contents to be seen by a conservator in that condition before sealing.
Jerome Feig CPF®
girlfromkent

Post by girlfromkent »

Thanks 👍