Deep tray frame ID

Get help and framing advice from the framing community
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Deep tray frame ID

Post by girlfromkent »

Hello all

I'm looking for a bare tray frame moulding suitable for a 50mm deep canvas that isn't more than 15mm wide on the face. Lion and wessex nothing, larson can't find anything, r&h same.

I don't currently have the woodworking facilities to make my own or trim down the wider faced deep one from lion.

On Jackson's I noticed they have one in lime, 50x12x59
Same profile in sapelle
Just what I need!
Does anyone know where this might be from please?

Screenshot_20200930-201714_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20200930-201732_Samsung Internet.jpg
Not your average framer
Organisation: The Dartmoor Gallery
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

Re: Deep tray frame ID

Post by Not your average framer »

Hi Megan,

All of the suppliers tat you have mentioned have their own range of different mouldings, which are made for them to the individual profile which they themselves have specified. The get these mouldings produced for the own needs and do not need to go through a third party, who will take a cut from the price of the moulding and therefore increasing the price which the supplier has to pay.

Well, Jacksons art supplies probably do the same! If you do not want to pay the prices, which Jacksons are charging, then the alternative would be to order a quantity of moulding to your own specification, directly from the moulding manufacturer. Obviously this means that you will need to pay for a production quantity, but there will be a price advantage which reflects the larger quanity, but you will have to provide enough storage space for the quantity of moulding when the whole quantity gets delivered to you.

One of the UK companies which can machine mouldings to customer specifications is Norfolk Mouldings and there probably are a few others as well.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

I use Rose and Hollis A45 upside down with a spacer glued and pinned into the rebate to make the base. This will give the depth you need. It's not too hard even with basic facilities. the 'face" of the this moulding is 13mm wide, pretty close to your needs.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
Not your average framer
Interests: Lost causes, saving and restoring old things, learning something every day

I usually fabricate tray mouldings from mouldings and spasers, not necessarily the Rose and hollis mouldings made from the purpose, but whatever I have got in stock that is the right moulding. If it's going to be a painted moulding it can even be a pine moulding. I also don't mind cutting larger mouldings down on my band saw and giving then a quick sanding down to lose the saw marks. I try to use what I've got in stock, to avoid ordering small quantities of mouldings, for just the odd job and buy many of the mouldings that I stock, with the potential for versatility and also cost in mind.
Mark Lacey

“Life is short. Art long. Opportunity is fleeting. Experience treacherous. Judgement difficult.”
― Geoffrey Chaucer
GeoSpectrum
Organisation: Ashcraft Framing
Interests: Family, x-country skiing, wine, art, Jazz

Post by GeoSpectrum »

Me too, but the OP only has basic facilities.
Alan Huntley
Ashcraft Framing
Bespoke Easels and Self-assembly tray frames
http://www.ashcraftframing.co.uk
girlfromkent
Organisation: None
Interests: Printmaking & ceramics

Post by girlfromkent »

Yeah, no band saw sadly!
Mebmate
Organisation: Pizienwell Arts
Interests: Chess, Landscape Gardening, DIY, Drama, Literature, Music, Tennis, Cooking

Post by Mebmate »

Where about in Kent are you?

I use Morgan's woodyard in Strood for 'out of product range' mouldings.

Last unusual tray moulding that I needed was 50mm deep (exterior), 40mm deep (interior), 35mm wide (top), 60mm wide (base).
Most economical wood was tulipwood at just under £8.00 (incl. VAT) per metre.
Not your average framer

I only got the band saw to slice up thousnnds of feet of old mouldings and turn them into something usable. I don't think that I've got quite as much stock of old mouldings as Prospero, but I've got a lot more than I can probably use in several life times. With the amount of mouldings which I have been able to repurpose so far I have probably paid for my basic cheap band saw many times over.
Mark Lacey

― Geoffrey Chaucer
wgpictureframing
Organisation: wood green picture framing
Interests: work

Post by wgpictureframing »

use any wide flat moulding with your width or similar on its front edge down (a lot have 9mm rebate lip), join with a hoffman if available, if not, side pin and glue. make flat frame from rose hollis F7 and lay underneath.. no unsightly gaps on the inner or joints on outer sides :) rose hollis will cut in your choice timber if you give them the lead time